Insurance for UW photo gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Now that I just added an Inon Z-240 to go with my D-2000 I'm starting to realize the dollars I have into gear and figure I should get insurance. I've read back through old posts but since insurance changes so fast I'm wondering what people are currently using and their recent experiences with different companies. For various reasons I don't want to add a floater to my homeowners policy. The DAN deductible seems sort of high (1/3 the cost of my new strobe for instance). Depp seems a little hokey to me for some reason. Any other good companies out there? I'd like an option that includes flood coverage, just in case. Any suggestions?

i also use DEPP and have been for about 3 years just made my first claim with them and so far every thing is going ok i was a little nervous about it but it has been a smooth processes so far.

Let me add a level of complexity to this. Is there any Canadian divers using these three and what are your experiences? I will go back to my DAN paperwork but I am pretty sure there were clauses that limited DAN's liability because I am Canadian. DEPP I have never looked in to but will now and Alcina said there was a third but I am not sure what that was. I would look into that as well.

MOD, because I am sort of hijacking this thread (Dorry diverrex but it just does not seem worthy of a new thread), please feel free to relocate this. Thank you

Another vote for DEPP. I've had two claims in five year. One for a dropped Oly housing and one fo a lost dive computer. Both were taken care of without an issue besides the telephone calls taking a few more days than I expected.

They will also insure your land photography gear under the same policy. Additionally, they ensured some peripheral items like my Epson P-2000 that I used for downloading images.

David

FWIW I'm in Australia, not the US, and have had no problems insuring with DEPP. Not sure about Canadians.

Alcina said there was a third
Home owners, DAN and DEPP are the big three in options. There's some info and linkage in the Sticky :wink:

I use DEPP. Had my first claim (on my ancient dive computer) and they paid on a pretty timely basis. And, of course, the surest way to make sure your housing won't flood is to insure your camera... haven't had a single flood since I did that years ago.

my housing flooded and i had the camera insured on my homeowner's policy with allstate. they paid the whole thing, no deductible, with few questions. less than 3 weeks from claim to check in my hand. i can't say enough positive things about the experience.

I have a stand alone policy for my photography gear with State Farm that is not tied to my homeowners policy. If I remember correctly, I have ~$3000.00 worth of coverage and it costs me ~$50 per year.

I have not had to use this insurance (and prefer not to!) so do not know 1st hand what types of problems I might encounter - However, the policy claims that it covers any issue for any reason.

I also use a rider on my Homeowners policy. It's with State Farm. I've never had to use it, but have friends that have with zero issues.

All my main dive gear is insured as well as about 15k in camera gear (topside as well as UW). I think my annual is about $150. IMO this is the BEST alternative with zero deductible, and zero exemptions. Not sure what reasons you would not consider it.

DAN and DEPP both have some drawbacks, but it's been a while since I looked. I know one does not cover gear that is lost. There is also a deductible, and I think it was more expensive vs. my homeowners rider.

Back
Top Bottom