Insurance for pool usage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning on being a freelance dive instructor. I have been offered to teach the pool work in a private owned pool. We have not worked out a payment yet but the pool is at his home. What would I (or he rather) need to look at for insurance to use that pool. Is there a rider a homeowner can get when using the pool for this purpose? Is there any policy I could carry that I could use at any pool, like say a club pool or community pool?

The owner should first check to see if his insurance company will even allow commercial use of his pool for this. They might say that they can't or won't. Once he starts to rent the pool, it becomes a commercial operation.

Because if something happens in his pool, it's not only on you. Ask him if he's ready to lose his house.
I can pretty much guarantee the lawsuit will name him as the facility's owner, so he better have commercial coverage for that. If someone slips and stubs a toe that needs a trip to the ER, that person's insurance is going to go after someone for payment.

Then, he would have to see about getting facility insurance for the pool. Then that insurance company will dictate what coverage you need to have.

DAN used to offer free coverage for OW students in training that any instructor could sign up for. However, as I recall, the training had to take place at a place where training was permitted.

I am not aware of insurance that will cover a facility's liability, which you can carry if they don't have coverage that permits commercial use.

They need to have their own insurance that will allow scuba training and will dictate the coverage you need.

If they don't have coverage that allows an insured person to teach SCUBA, they are taking a very big risk.

Often, if an entity has commercial coverage, it will allow them to rent the pool for any reasonable purpose they see fit. But, if they have coverage that specifies commercial operations are not permitted, and they get caught in a suit where that was taking place, the facility will be on the hook for any damages.

Your instructor training should have spent a fair amount of time on this subject. It's part of the risk management side of teaching. If it didn't, you got shorted on content.

A serious business divering and lawyering, if it was me at my place I would just spray everything in invisible paint

only if I didn't get ripped off on the paint

....... the pool is at his home. What would I (or he rather) need to look at for insurance to use that pool.
Looking at insurance is kinda 2-3 steps ahead of your 1st step.
Go to the home's county appraiser's website and type in the address. Look at the zoning for the address and then look if commercial activity is allowed (some do, some don't). Every insurance company will look at zoning of a parcel first to determine if a policy/rider can be issued.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom