Instructors losing certification for non-teaching reasons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cancun mark:
Yes they do, they send student questionares to about one in three students, or more if there is suspicion of standards violations. With email, this is getting quicker and easier too,
There two problems with questionaires that come to mind.

One, it is usualy sometime after a new divers Certification that they realise that soemthing was wrong with their instruction. So the questionaire gets filled out with glowing remarks unless something was so flagrant the new diver knew something was wrong right away. Kinda like when you get the survey on the new vehicle you "just" bought. Well of course everything is alright, there hasn't been enough time for something to go wrong.

Second, The instructor is usually tied to the LDS the diver will be getting gear and air from. Most would feel ackward saying something bad about their instructor if they have to face them on a regular basis, again unless it was really a bad experience.

Just my opinion

cancun mark:
Yes they do, they send student questionares to about one in three students, or more if there is suspicion of standards violations. With email, this is getting quicker and easier too,

I was diving Dos Ojos Cavern with a group of senior PADI execs when an AI swam past teaching a resort course, so they do know. Also this is changing rapidly and dramatically for the better over the last couple of years as self regulation, and now governmental regulation of the dive industry in Mexico increases.

I am not a big fan of government regulation but if the dive industry doesn't police itself that is where we are headed.
The hot button issue may not be safety but rather environmental damage done by divers. Maybe not just instructors will have their cards pulled either. I think disclipinary actions are appropriate against all divers if the circumstances warrant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom