Instructor Work in Okinawa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicholasthediver

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some advice about finding work in Okinawa. I'm an experienced PADI MSDT/SSI DCSI and I've been living in Fukuoka for a while and I'd like to work in Okinawa but have very little idea about the chances of finding work down there. I speak English, German, and a little Japanese (not enough to teach) and I have a work visa. If anyone has any helpful information, please let me know.

Thanks...

ex-Nova, by any chance?!

Instructor work in Okinawa isn't easy to get. You might have a chance with a company like Reef Encounters if your Japanese was fluent, but you'd probably need to be able to teach classes in Japanese. And if you're not fluent, there's no way you'd be able to get work at a Japanese dive shop.

If you have SOFA status then you might be able to find work through one of the US military dive shops.

Hi,

Thanks for the info - was pretty much what I thought.

No, not Nova, but it's a horrible the situation the teachers find themselves in.

Nicholas

It is, but I can't believe that some are asking for their embassy's help in getting home. I mean, if you don't keep aside some contingency money in case of emergencies for getting home, then you're just asking for trouble.

My uncle works at the Rizzan resort and he says that they are desperately looking for diving instructors or supervisors. He was bothering us all summer long asking me and my wife to work their part-time or even full time. It's hard for me because I do work on base at Courtney Tsunami Scuba, so I have get some BS letter to work out in town. As for my wife she's now pregnant (No.1 kid for us) so she's on non-teaching status. Obviously, now the touring season is slowing down, but if you want I can get you some information and spread the word to you.

Back
Top Bottom