Instructor Professionalism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience is that the US Government utilizes those exact same tactics in military basic training.

The US military is also taking young adults and rebuilding them into the mindset appropriate for military service.

Not even remotely the same as technical diving students. Sure there are times when you need to be forceful and have come to Jesus honesty. But there is no crying in technical diving.

How is this even remotely related to tech diving instruction?

It's not. I was merely commenting and offering my opinion that the OP's experience in his TDI internship seemed to me to be a military approach to instruction.

I only asked you the question because I believe that it's difficult to truly understand the military approach unless you've actually experienced it.

I recently had a jarring experience during a TDI technical diving internship. I observed the instructor demonstrating numerous dubious behaviors, which persisted over several weeks. For instance, he would repeatedly raise his voice at students when not required (ie when filling out unrelated paperwork). He would belittle trivial student mistakes. He would 'name and shame' students in their absence (repeatedly name students and reiterate the mistake they made weeks ago). He would humiliate student's by pantomiming their efforts at a 'skill' then ask "why did you even bother trying?" He would swear at his students underwater and I heard of other prior students crying. It progressed to a point where some learners in my group were fearful of asking questions.

But what I found even stranger was the response of my classmates. Although, this behavior met the textbook definition of bullying, they normalized it. One even said to me "I have seen other technical instructors act this way, it's normal in Technical Diving".

So now I am left with some serious questions.

For instance:
What does professionalism in tech instruction look like?
Should I be looking for another tech instructor, or is this actually the norm?
Is this guy local to you?

Doesn't matter really. Run.

It's not. I was merely commenting and offering my opinion that the OP's experience in his TDI internship seemed to me to be a military approach to instruction.

I only asked you the question because I believe that it's difficult to truly understand the military approach unless you've actually experienced it.
I have experienced it and it's a farm animal stupid way to go about teaching civilians to tech dive. This idiot instructor should be reported and kicked out as soon as possible.

I'm activily looking for instructors like that, I need a bully to motivate me to learn new things.

If it's not your cup of tea why not just walk away an find one that suits you?

I'm activily looking for instructors like that, I need a bully to motivate me to learn new things.

If it's not your cup of tea why not just walk away an find one that suits you?
To be honest, once you have paid your money, and done a few dives its really hard to ask for a refund.

Is this guy local to you?

Doesn't matter really. Run.
This was on Koh Tao, Thailand. I had done several rec courses with other schools there. But this was the first time I had ever dived with this DS and the first time I ever tried a Tec course.

My experience is that the US Government utilizes those exact same tactics in military basic training.
Not my experience. I graduated from three US Navy officer training schools in the early 1980s.
Officer Candidate School, Surface Warfare Officer School and Basic Diving/Salvage Officer school and a variety of different week-two week long schools such as COMSEC, Ships Self Defense Force leader school.....and more.

The instructors at all of these schools were professional. They never demeaned any of us, they never swore at us, they never disrespected us. They DID kick our collective asses, forced PT and LONG runs - like 14 miles at a time.

Using tactics as described above has no place in an educational format. It is ineffective and counter-productive.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom