Instructor for Drysuit....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
It sounds to me like you have an opinion that none of the drysuit specialties are good enough for you.... why is that? what do you want to learn that none of the specialties offer....?

R..

It's not that they are not good enough, it just seemed to me like there was not enough material to warrant a full weekend class. I may have to reconsider.

I am going to check out that book and take it from there

Thanks for the advice.

There is more than enough in learning how to use a dry suit to warrant a full weekend plus. Especially if you are a relatively new diver and have never been in one. And unless you nail the skills exactly the first time or close to it you will like having somone there who is expecting things to happen and can help you with them. A mentor is great but you need to be able to be sure he is going to be right there when you get inverted and your feet fill up with air and you're heading towards the surface upside down. An instructor in a course is being paid to be there and assist in correcting yourself. Also most good courses will require pool work. We do. If you can do some of the skills in 10 12 ft of water they become easier in 25, 35, or 50. Righting yourself is easier deeper. Spend 125 bucks and take a class then find a mentor. You'll be happier and safer.

Jim is quite right. The value in the class comes from having someone there to correct your mistakes and keep you safe. He is also correct in that any good course will get you in the pool first to practice the new skills before your in open water. I have seen people take to drysuits immediately with almost no problem and I have seen people take 40 dives to truly be comfortable in one. The skills you learn in the pool and in the class with a good instructor will help spped up your learning curve.

I took the D/S class along with Nitrox, while stationed in PA, I took the class in NJ with The Scuba Connection. Great shop instructors and people in general. The best part of the class besides knowledge was I took it with other folks from Wreck Valley who I had never meet before and afterward had great dive buddies at almost anytime weekday or weekends to dive with.

Some of my best times diving occured after taking the DS class with others from the area and then diving together a few times a month sometimes a few times per week.

Just my take on it, since we do this for fun, have fun at it.

Its fricken $100 not a big deal. It is one class room through NAUI one close water and one open wate dive. Suck it up and take the class! I hate to say I would rather throw away $100 then die but thats just me. its actually one of the fun certs. You get to do flips and rescue yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom