Instructor for Drysuit....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RussR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I just bought a new to me Drysuit and am looking for an instructor to do a few dives and show me how to use the suit at Dutch Springs.

I do not want to, and most likely will not, take any Drysuit course through any agency

If there are any instructors that are interested let me know

Thanks

Russ

I'm guessing there'd be significant liability issues for an isntructor who would "show you how to use it" but not actually do that via a course and appropriate certification.

"So Mr Instructor, please explain to the jury why it is that you didn't actually CERTIFY the deceased..."

RJP:
I'm guessing there'd be significant liability issues for an isntructor who would "show you how to use it" but not actually do that via a course and appropriate certification.

"So Mr Instructor, please explain to the jury why it is that you didn't actually CERTIFY the deceased..."
Exactly right..I would consider running a drysuit course but it would be the real thing,with classroom academics and confined water along with the ow dives..can pm me if interested.

RussR:
hmmmmmmmmm I did not consider that.

I really wanted to avoid the agency "middleman".

I guess i will have to weigh my options.

What's your life worth? Uncontrolled ascent from depth? There is a reason there are agency standards.:no

RussR:
Hi,

I just bought a new to me Drysuit and am looking for an instructor to do a few dives and show me how to use the suit at Dutch Springs.

I do not want to, and most likely will not, take any Drysuit course through any agency

If there are any instructors that are interested let me know

Thanks

Russ

What do you intend to learn (or not learn) that is (or is not) taught by one of the agencies....?

It sounds to me like you have an opinion that none of the drysuit specialties are good enough for you.... why is that? what do you want to learn that none of the specialties offer....?

R..

RussR:
hmmmmmmmmm I did not consider that.

I really wanted to avoid the agency "middleman".

I guess i will have to weigh my options.

The agency as a middleman really does not count for much in a course..They get their money from a certification card fee-not that much-and any training materials that are purchased for the course.Things that if you went thru a private instructor would still have to be paid..A lds would charge money to pay their expenses and it would most likely be the same as a private instr.,maybe less for the lds will most likely use a pool that has a ow going on at the same time to keep costs down..pm me if you want to know what is involved/covered in a dry suit course..

I took a dry suit specialty and it was fun but if you go the do it yourself route then I suggest you buy the book "Dry Suit Diving" by Dick Long and then get in a pool with a friend who dives dry or just go to Dutch Springs. It's a great book that will answer ALL your questions about dry suits from a-z. A "class" isn't really needed to learn how to use a dry suit. Just go slow and do your homework.

scubadobadoo:
I took a dry suit specialty and it was fun but if you go the do it yourself route then I suggest you buy the book "Dry Suit Diving" by Dick Long and then get in a pool with a friend who dives dry or just go to Dutch Springs. It's a great book that will answer ALL your questions about dry suits from a-z. A "class" isn't really needed to learn how to use a dry suit. Just go slow and do your homework.
a class may not be "needed" but to be the most knowledgeable it would be..did you learn about the different materials used in construction of the suit or the undergarments?pros and cons of each? repairs,did you learn how to repair a leak?replace seals?types and proper use /care of seals?Weight options?packing suit so valve does not damage it?There is more to it than most think.All the things I mentioned should be covered and more..AND that is before actually using the suit and learning how to use it and control buoyancy and any emergency procedures that must be praticed..If you go with a friend I hope that nothing happens for him for if it did he could be sued.

oly5050user:
a class may not be "needed" but to be the most knowledgeable it would be..did you learn about the different materials used in construction of the suit or the undergarments?pros and cons of each? repairs,did you learn how to repair a leak?replace seals?types and proper use /care of seals?Weight options?packing suit so valve does not damage it?There is more to it than most think.All the things I mentioned should be covered and more..AND that is before actually using the suit and learning how to use it and control buoyancy and any emergency procedures that must be praticed..If you go with a friend I hope that nothing happens for him for if it did he could be sued.

Respectfully, that's why I suggested the book. The book covers all of it and more specifically than most classes. The book covers A-Z and was written by someone who (again respectfully) knows more about dry suits than most people in the world. Using a dry suit isn't brain surgery. All that said, I am sure that you teach a great class!:wink: Judging from your post, it certainly sounds like you do!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom