instructor course review - did you know...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agamemnon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Did you know that when you take the PADI assistant instructor or instructor course, part of your grade rests upon selling? Specifically, as part of each lesson you are graded upon how you integrate selling dive trips, dive equipment and dive education. The reason given for the sales component is to support the dive shop and, i suppose, make you more competitive in getting a sales position within dive organizations.

I found this and the courses, to be a dissapointment as I was expecting content and information that would (somehow) make me a better diver (my main goal) and feel competent to be an instructor - neither of which I really felt were achieved. I did the course locally and I know there are others, locally, who (like me) don't always do all of their homework, so thought I'd post here where locals would see.

Last edited:
PADI

Put
Another
Dollar
In

During my IDC that was REALLY emphasized.

PADI

Put
Another
Dollar
In

During my IDC that was REALLY emphasized.

Yeah, I heard that but a little too late! I put quite a few dollars in. In truth, my only regret is that it was not what I thought (which is my own fault) and that I didn't really come away with anything of value to me - i.e. increased skill as a diver. Also, don't think I should be teaching anyone with such limited experience - min. 100 dives required for instructor.

I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your course. Part of the blame rests upon your shoulders, though, as I don't think anyone who knows anything says that the instructor course makes you a better diver. It's goal is to teach you to instruct, not dive! While I think that some of the task loading and rescue stuff may make you a better diver if you didn't have it already, that's not the intent of the course.

PADI supports shops that support PADI that supports shops...hence the selling content. Also, as an instructor/DM students look to you for gear advice and advice to get them diving and keep them diving, like more courses, charters, clubs, etc. It's perhaps sad that it's all (or mostly) about the money, but if it wasn't no one would get paid.

As for the minimum dives: 100 is the minimum required by PADI. And although a course director can't discriminate against you because you have just the minimum it is within their purview to asses against you for leadership, maturity, etc. It also behooves the dive shop/IDC staff instructors/Course Director to ensure that you are ready, number of dives notwithstanding, and they should strongly discourage candidates who aren't ready from taking the examinations.

Regretfully I know way too many examples of this not happening and these "100 dive" zero-to-hero retards are let loose upon the unsuspecting dive students. I've seen the injuries.

Kudos to you for recognizing a level of trepidation; that probably signals that you are ready to teach within certain limitations that you have the maturity to see and acknowledge.

Just my 2psi. I'm not a SCUBA instructor but I teach other things.

Cheers,
VI

Well, the phone number is 1-800-PAY-PADI....

All the best, James

The theory is that you should have your diving skills honed before you take the instructor course. That is what the Divemaster course and experience is supposed to provide you with. Professional level skills and confidence. If someone feels like they don't have the required skill level, then they need to work at being a Divemaster for a bit longer and maybe a bit harder.

Your Course Director should be evaluating your in-water skills to determine if you are ready for the Instructor Exam or not. They may give you tips to fine tune you on "presentation quality" skills demonstrations but the Course Director is not there to teach you the 20 basic skills.

The instructor course is about standards, teaching within the PADI system and yes, unfortunately, sales. I'm not big on the sales but you do what you have to do if you want to get through the course.

Every agency has been saddled with an alternate meaning for their initials. Gets a little tiresome seeing them over and over again. PADI's phone number really is an unfortunate translation... but it is easy to remember.

As I mentioned, I acknowledge that I am to blame in that I didn't do any research. I was an enthusiastic new diver and didn't put much more thought into signing up than that the course must somehow improve my diving i.e. through knowledge or training. On the separate issue of experience, according to padi, I met the grade and did well - my discomfort at teaching people when I'm in a steep part of the learning curve myself, is just a random opinion. Anyway, my point is to enlighten others, like me, who don't always look before leaping. People like us won't necessarily think that instruction involves selling (it's not intuitive) or that an instructor course doesn't develop your dive skills to be instructor quality. It does teach you to teach and sell, but less useful to me personally.

One of the big reasons I chose another agency for instructor after getting my DM. I saw a post here a few years ago about a diver who lost points for spending too much time on theory and not enough on selling. Left a bad taste in my mouth to even read that. I don't push con ed or gear to OW divers as much as I push learning what they need as OW divers. Get some experience and then talk to me about AOW, other specialties, and more gear.

hrrrm

I feel like a fraud.... I got my PADIship in 2007 without selling any ice to Eskimos

do you think they will take away my ticket if they find out??

One key atttribute in a successful instructor is the ability to market, whether it is marketing classes, trips or gear. To view it as an exercise requiring you to earn points for your "selling abilities" does not do it justice. Consider how you might actually get students to come take your classes, or continue to take your classes, or travel with you, if you don't know how to market well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom