installing spring straps on jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lj82

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone here installed spring straps to their jet fins on their own before?

I bought a pair of spring straps and had to install them on my own, but I can't seem to remove the old metal attachments of the jet fins without damaging the rubber block they are attached to.

Am I suppose to ply open the metal attachments, or am I supposed to remove the pin in the middle??

Many thanks in advance!

You have to be careful. The best way is to use a pair of needle nosed pliers and jerk them off in one swift jerk as you pull up away from the top of the pin.

You could also use two pliers- one on each side of the attachment and pull out at the same time.

I used a hand held grinder... Grind the top of the rivet off and the buckle will come off..

I used a pair of "end cutting pliers" to cut the pins out. If you don't know anyone to borrow them from, most hardware stores have them for about $25-$40. It's a bit high to purchase, but they have many uses.

I used the double-plier method which seemed to work pretty well. Just take two pairs of pliers and grab each side of the metal attachment and pull. One side will break free from the rivet attachment.

Thanks guys for your suggestions.
I filed off the rivets, and used pliers to force them open.
Now my fins are good to go!
:D

Which spring straps did you go with? I'm getting some for my turtles, and haven't decided which ones I'll go with.

When I added Spring Straps to my Jets I installed ScubaPro Strap Clips (the same clips as my TwinJets) without the swivel. This allows me to use my TwinJet Spring Straps and also have the original TwinJet Heel Straps as a back-up.

To remove the original metal clips I used my dremel tool to grind down the pin ends.

Which spring straps did you go with? I'm getting some for my turtles, and haven't decided which ones I'll go with.

I bought the piranha spring heels.
Great price, has everything that you need as well. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom