Installing a Vintage K Valve on a Steel 72

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I’m really curious about this rationale. Why is a J-valve a safety hazard for filling a tank? Could you ask them to explain their reasoning.

SeaRat

IMO because the LDS people were either ignorant about J valves, equipment snobes or wanted to make a sale.

Tell them you are search and rescue diver who sometimes is in black water and can't see your SPG and OSHA requires one.

1910.424(c)(4)
A diver-carried reserve breathing gas supply shall be provided for each diver consisting of:
1910.424(c)(4)(i)
A manual reserve (J valve);

Tell them you are search and rescue diver who sometimes is in black water and can't see your SPG and OSHA requires one.

1910.424(c)(4)
A diver-carried reserve breathing gas supply shall be provided for each diver consisting of:
1910.424(c)(4)(i)
A manual reserve (J valve);

Those are the kind of A-holes that would ask for proof!

How about if I simply showed them these photos for proof?

SeaRat

Attachments

• Parascuba Jump-Okinawa-1.jpg
    Parascuba Jump-Okinawa-1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 127
  • John in Parascuba001.jpg
    John in Parascuba001.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 126
How about if I simply showed them these photos for proof?

SeaRat

Are you offering to be a J valve strawman for the OP? Outlaw J valve!!! :D

I also have a couple of these to let me know when it’s time to come to the surface.
For those who don't know, the regulator Art is showing is a Scubapro Mk VII, which has a "sonic" reserve on it. With every breath, it rings out a tune telling everyone within ear shot that Art is getting very low on air.

SeaRat

Absolutely nothing wrong with a good working J-valve. I have about a dozen old steel 72's and have at least 4-5 j-valves. If the dive store doesn't understand them, you may want to find another shop. Some shops are great people but technically clueless. If they are working on your gear, they really need to understand it - and really dive equipment hasn't changed all that much, it only takes a little "correct" research to know what's what. If they truly believe it's a safety issue, they don't know and you probably won't get anywhere arguing with them if that's their mindset.

One trick I've used is, if you have your own compressor, fill the tank snd then vent it quickly so that the valve is frozen. The temperature and dimensional differential between valve and tank neck will sometimes loosen a stuck valve.

Back
Top Bottom