Installing a pee-valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Dive Rite and the OMS pee valve are one and the same. It may not be what you want for a she pee for 2 reasons.

1. As Marci states, it uses a mushroom valve to prevent any water from backing up into the suit if the plumbing is not attached - and it is very effective in that regard. The down side is that there is some "exhaust effort" required as the valve takes a pressure differential of about 1/2" of water pressure to open, and hydraulics (peedraulics?) being what they are, you'll have that same pressure everywhere trying to force its way out the path of least resistance.

2. the second potential issue is that the valve uses small diameter tubing with a 1/4" inside diamter and a 5/16" outside diamter. It is flexible and comfortable as it does not create any large lump under the suit - but it does restrict the flow somewhat compared to the 3/8" ID of the 1/2" OD fuel hose used by most other pee valves. With a well applied wide band condom cath the back pressure is a non issue even with a max effort flow rate - but the same may not be the case with a she-pee. With a low flow rate it should not be an issue, but it may create some attachment issues as the barbed fitting that comes with it is designed for the larger tubing diameter. You'd need to go to the hardware store and get a double barbed fitting designed to step down from 3/8 to 1/4 ID hose.

Whether the combination of 1 and 2 is really significant or not, I don't know - we'll have to rely on input from other women with either the Dive Rite or OMS Sweet Pe valves.

On the other hand, the DR/OMS pee valve is ideal for the Fusion however as you can install it in the bladder, then put the skin over it, let the skin settle over the bladder and valve with the suit one, then mark the center of the lump where the valve is on and cut a small (dime sized is plenty big) hole in the skin. You then unscrew the outer cover of the valve (the one that encloses the mushroom valve) stretch hole in the skin over the valve, and then screw the cover back on, capturing the edges of the hole between the valve and cover.

I have seen two Fusion factory installed valves. One was literally the size of the normal suit exhaust valve and the other was a slightly smaller version of that. Neither was what I would call low profile and based on that I would not call not getting the factory valve a "mistake". And I strongly suspect both also incorporate a mushroom valve, but I am not sure what diameter hose they use.

Back
Top Bottom