Inspection costs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kiarny

New
Reaction score
I am new to scuba, and have been shopping for equipment. My LDS charges full retail for all his equipment and does not seem to want to budge on prices.
He tells me that if I buy a regulator from him, then it will only need yearly inspections, which cost $70.00. If I buy from anywhere else, (like the internet) the first inspection will be at least $190, even for brand new stuff!.
Does this sound right?

Check the phone book. There may be another dive shop in the area willing to have you as a customer. The shop you were in probably just lost one.

kiarny:
I am new to scuba, and have been shopping for equipment. My LDS charges full retail for all his equipment and does not seem to want to budge on prices.
He tells me that if I buy a regulator from him, then it will only need yearly inspections, which cost $70.00. If I buy from anywhere else, (like the internet) the first inspection will be at least $190, even for brand new stuff!.
Does this sound right?

A shop here charges $40 plus parts for a complete overhaul of reg and octo. An anual inspection only is $15.00 (assuming no work is required) Some shops charge more but $190 is completely out of line. Are there no other dive shops in your area?

If he's not willing to budge, make him sweat a little. If you're going to buy a lot of gear from him in a short time, that's a big deal to him/her. So you might say to him: "So that's your price? (yep) Well, I'm going to go check out what the other shops will do for me, I'll get back to you". And out you walk. This works good for buying cars too.

I just purchased a reg set/computer from one of the advertisers on this board, Scubatoys, and delt with Larry Dague. The price was good, he gave 10% extra off as scubaboard member, and their annual service is @ $40, lifetime warrenteed. Found nothing local to match. (Of course where I live there IS nothing local.) Hope this helps some. Jim

That is a typical example of greedy LDS. So, who is going to tell him that you have to support your LDS to secure your air source. That kind of shop should be run of business soon for the healthy scuba market. Contact Larry and get your gear up! Times have changed. You can send your gears for the service from/to anywhere in the world. He must know nothing of the world.

In addition,

Our board has the excellent example how much cost it would be for the annual service.

Please look at the following JS1scuba post:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=83772

And, you just missed the good deal for the regulator by adssupply. He is one of main gear supplier here (I think):
http://www.scubaboard.com/t86575-.html

But, you still have some hope:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t81861-.html
You can buy Zeagle products here and complain anything you have to. Scott will listen every points that you address. Am I right? Or Triple-L

Don’t forget BP/W setup option. We have many suppliers for that setup here.
http://www.deepseasupply.com/page12.html

Fred T.

Good luck.

kiarny:
Does this sound right?

Run far away! If the regulator is under warranty you should only pay for labor $12-$19 a stage (3 stages: primary, octo, 1st). If no warranty, parts are only $8-$20 for a full tune (all stages)...so do the math. Find another shop!

kiarny:
Does this sound right?

Inspections and bench test look overs should be free. Annual Service for a complete 1st, 2nd, Octo, gauge set and hoses is about $55.00 plus parts if needed. That's for a complete rip down, clean, rebuild and set up.

If your LDS is saying its 190 he may be on LSD.

We service regulators for more than 60 shops and universities nationwide. I belive your LDS is being a pig. Go find a PDC (professional dive center)

Regards,

Many shops do give preferred customer prices for service if you buy their equipment which is understandable. Another reason to consider buying from your shop instead of online. As an advocate for buying from your LDS I must agree his prices sound high. Shop Around.

Back
Top Bottom