Inside the SDA, about the battery replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watertoo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
See the image.

I could find the compatible battery to replace it. But i must know the epoxy more details to remove the battery.

Not for now...I will try it after the original one failed.

Untitled.jpg

Reactions: BB1
Thanks watertoo!!

A first look under the hood of an SDA!! :D

Could you please add the words in the picture underneath it?? Hard to read Blue writing at the bottom.

Many thanks for the update!

Waterloo, can you tell me if the sealant (expoxy) is hard or gel like. If it is of a gel type, its a no brainer once we know what the battery is. The information I got from the NA distributor (which so far hasn't been exactly been correct on other matters) was that the battery was baked in, understanding this abit , I dont really believe it was as some of the components would obvious melt first.

The sealant used in previous computers of other brands allowed for the fact that the battery would need to be replaced at some point so the sealant used allowed for that without destroying the unit. Let us know.

Schott

the battery sealant is indeed heat cured. Your distributor was correct.

So that most likely means no easy battery replacement.

Hey, Dive Right in Scuba... is this something that you are looking at? Given an expected battery life of only three years...

So what the hell was the plan in 3 years time??? Replace the computer when you sent it in for a battery replacement??

Crazy!

The sealant is heat cured with light brown color. I guess the battery will be changed with control board together(not main board, smaller one, probably for voltage controlling). There are 2 independent spaces separated for main board and battery.

From previous posts on various boards on the web, I had the impression that distributors had been trained (or in the process) for battery replacement. Maybe if they are around, they could tell us a little more about that.

I thought a little bit about it but the SDA is not very different than a PDA, a smartphone or an ipod. I had my PDA or my ipod for something like 4-5 years and the battery hold still well the charge because those device are low powered in comparison to laptop, divelights. My devices don't last as long as in the early days but long enough to run for several hours. Of course, we don't know much about power consumption and battery capacity of the SDA but 12h suggest a substantial capacity.

To make the story short:
- 1) keep in mind that we are talking about rechargeable battery, not expandable battery. They lose their capacity faster (the question is to know if it's sufficient to last a dive). A pre-dive charge is likely to give enough power to last an entire dive.
- 2) I think the usability of the SDA is probably longer than what we expect mostly because we tend to make the false assumption that we're dealing with expandable battery or with a situation like a laptop battery. The SDA is not heavy powered + the solar cells might also help a little bit to slow down the energy drain.

Back
Top Bottom