Inserts vs Prescription Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PK1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Age has caught up with my eyes such that I need +2.5 magnifiers for reading. Simple pharmacy reading glasses do the trick. I'm fine for distance. I'm also generally OK for diving, but do have difficulty with small print/readout on gauges and cameras, and most notably with reading/writing on a slate when doing marine biology survey work.

Any advice on inserts vs prescription lenses? I don't pay high prices for reading glasses, since I don't need a Rx prescription. So I'm wondering whether I'd be OK with simple +2 stick-on inserts rather than sending off for a $129 gauge-reader lenses from a prescription mask service.

I had no luck with the stick on lens. They would always come loose.

I finally found a mask that fit well, bought two and sent them off for custom lens. Best equipment money I have spent.

PK!, how much money have you already sunk into diving?

The stick on gauge readers work, until something happens. Leave the colorforms for Willie The Weatherman and get your near distance RX bonded in there for your close work. Of course, if your distance isn't 100% perfect just get it all done. You never know when being 100% corrected will make a difference.

I second the advice of doing it to a mask that is known to fit juuuuuust right.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom