Inon Z-240 diffuser: white vs. blue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing to check out if you are using Photoshop is that the RAW converter for Canon seems to slightly oversaturate the reds (Canon S70, XT, XTi, and now 40D from my own personal experience) - very noticeable vs opening a file in Canon's DPP w/ no picture styles. While this can be resolved by tweaking the ACR RAW converter (saturation, WB, etc...), I'll have to look at some of the suggestions all over the net about calibrating ACR RAW for specific cameras.

Thanks for your responses. I use an olympus sp-550uz and shoot using the preset underwater macro setting, cloudy white balance, red2, sharpness5, and spot metering and focus. for these pics, i used a -0.5 white diffuser on the z240 set at either STTL or half power.

My problem really lies in strobe positioning since this is the first time I am using one. this is the reason i dont know how to avoid backscatter and overexposure that is why i am thinking a -1.5 diffuser will be better. colors are also yellowish and i am wondering if it will help if i use the blue diffuser. or is the color natural since these were taken on muck dives?

here are sample pics taken in jpeg since i still dont know how to use photoshop. thanks for bearing with me.

P2100050.jpg

P2100110.jpg

P2100310.jpg

P2100196.jpg

OK, I see a couple of things:

1) your white balance is off. Easy fixed especially if you are shooting RAW. Try setting it on auto - you're using light from your strobes here so your camera shouldn't be adjusting first...you'll just confuse it.

2) I'd personally reset your values to 0. yes, you're upping the red a bit but it looks a bit off. Start with the least amount of tweaks in camera and then do the tweaks in your software

3) your strobe position looks pretty good, especially on the last image. The only image with bits blown is the first one. Personally, I'd forget about changing diffusers. How about manually turning the strobe down or simply moving it back an inch or two? That should be all you need.

With a single strobe you might want to bring your strobe more to the centre of your port rather than all the way to one side. It worked pretty well with the scorpionfish but the top image could have used the light just a tad more to the right as we look at the frame.

I don't think you should be disappointed or discouraged by these results...you done good :)

Thanks for your responses. I use an olympus sp-550uz

ah my Bad, thought you were using a Canon p&s. As Alcina said, I think you can solve your problem quickly by adjusting the WB in RAW post processing (I presume you are shooting in RAW)? The WB is too warm (are you using the Oly supplied software or photoshop?).

ah my Bad, thought you were using a Canon p&s. As Alcina said, I think you can solve your problem quickly by adjusting the WB in RAW post processing (I presume you are shooting in RAW)? The WB is too warm (are you using the Oly supplied software or photoshop?).

am not shooting RAW yet since i dont have photoshop and RAW isnt available on the preset modes. only in manual or S/A priority modes. all the pics posted are as saved by the camera in jpeg. will try out all your tips this weekend. thanks everyone!

consider shooting in manual. It's not that difficult, definitely worth it if it allows you to shoot in RAW. Or consider manually WB'ing with your strobes before you start shooting.

Just to give you an idea of what your pic would look if you could adjust the temperature on the WB in RAW, I uploaded your jpg photo into Photoshop's RAW converter and dialed down the WB temp a bit. You should be able to do this in the Olympus editing program as well.

Attachments

• P2100050.jpg
    P2100050.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 106
Just to give you an idea of what your pic would look if you could adjust the temperature on the WB in RAW, I uploaded your jpg photo into Photoshop's RAW converter and dialed down the WB temp a bit. You should be able to do this in the Olympus editing program as well.
the fish looks more pissed now, Pak......:coffee:

Thanks Pak. will try it next time. i tried using auto WB today and actually like the pics more now that my strobe seems to be in a better position. but i forgot to bring the thicker 1.5 diffuser and still used the 0.5. will try to post some pics after i download from my cam.

@caloy: the dragonet wasnt pissed. blinded in one eye, yes.:wink:

Jigo, well next time, give shooting in RAW a chance and then you don't have to worry about your WB setting...

Back
Top Bottom