Inon UWL-100 vs UN PWC-01 wide angle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan:
roswin,
If you decide on an Inon WAL be sure and get the right one for your housing. There is a Type 1 and Type 2. They are the same lens except for the size of the ring at the mounting point. The Type 1 sits closer to the camera housing lens port and requires an adapter ring that replaces the housing ring on some Oly housings. The Type 2 mounts directly to the housing.
Whether to use the Type 1 or 2 lens is dictated by both the housing and the model camera inside the housing as in the case of the Oly PT-010 housing which accomodated more than one model camera.
There is a chart on Yuzo's site that lists several cameras and housings. After you get to his site click on "Add on lens" then scroll down and look for "Please check which lens is useable for your camera and housing" and the link will list the cameras and housings.
I've been thinking more and more about either a macro or wide angle lens. Unfortunately, I've just dropped some coin on a D180, tray and arms. :) However, I think the WAL might be the next purchase. With the 5050 and PT-015, is it type 1 or type 2 of the UWL-100 that is required? As well, any thoughts as to which macro 5050 users have liked with this setup?

Warren_L:
I've been thinking more and more about either a macro or wide angle lens. Unfortunately, I've just dropped some coin on a D180, tray and arms. :) However, I think the WAL might be the next purchase. With the 5050 and PT-015, is it type 1 or type 2 of the UWL-100 that is required? As well, any thoughts as to which macro 5050 users have liked with this setup?

Type 2 with the PT-015.

http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com/English/euwdigitalindex.htm

roswin:
I understand that the coating problem is related just to the wide angle lens and not the macro one. Is it right? By the way, I'd really like to make good macro pics but my camera is a little weak in that (c-50 zoom). Which lens do you suggest? What about the "vignetting" effect?
I don't think close-up lenses have any coating on them because the coating is mostly for suppressing flares (I could be wrong).
I have access to both the UN PCU-01 and Inon UCL-165. Both are very similar (I think the UN lens has a tad more magnification) and no signs of damage so far (but I rinse and wipe the housing port and all add-on lenses religiously now). The good thing about the UN lens is they give you a set of adaptors to step-down from 67mm. They also give you a pouch. The Inon is a bit chunkier, no accessories (yes scummy, not even a pouch) but has threads on the front which means you can stack lenses together.
I think adding a close-up lens to your housing will help with the C-50 a lot but be aware that they take a lot more work to get sharp macro shots.

jlyle:
Okay, that's two lenses, Chris' & Reye's, that have had problems, any more?
I think Ryan at UWCP has had a lot of complaints and he has stopped selling the PWC-01.
Having said that I think any lens with a coating (including the Inon) can develop problems as the environment we use it in (salt water) is quite harsh. Soaking, rinsing in fresh water and a wipe down is paramount (housing, ports, wet-mate lenses).

ReyeR:
I have access to both the UN PCU-01 and Inon UCL-165. Both are very similar (I think the UN lens has a tad more magnification)

The other way around:

The PCU-01 is X2.4

The UCL-165 is X2.0

Were I to buy over again, I would go with the UCL-165 because it is stackable. Of course I could buy a UCL and stack the PCU on top! Now there's an idea.

jlyle:
The PCU-01 is X2.4

The UCL-165 is X2.0
Isn't that the same as what I said? "the UN lens has a tad more magnification"? :06:

Having said that I think any lens with a coating (including the Inon) can develop problems as the environment we use it in (salt water) is quite harsh.
Years ago I had a sea & sea 20mm suffer coating problems. A quick call solved the problem, I sent them mine and they sent a new one to me.

ear jlyle, what do u mean with stackable? I think that both lenses can be applied while underwater. Can you really connect one to the other?

Yes, the Inon lenses have male threads on one side and female on the other so that you can connect two or more together...the increased magnification is fun, but it does play havoc with focus/lighting/depth-of-field. The UN lens adapter is only threaded (male) on the camera side.

Both UN & Inon lens adapters are "wet-mates;" they can be attached/removed from the housing underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom