Inon S2000 with Sony RX 100/2 ?? Need advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess that the problem might be solved on the next dive trip ( 2022 hopefully) trying with or without the magnet on different dives ( not risking to loose it while changing underwater) . I never had to use fiber optical cabel so far, due to the great transparent Ikelite housing. And the good test results topside in manuell mode let me hope, that it will work as well with the Inon strobe. ( It fired even holding it behind my back - very sensitive)

Finally I got an answer from Sony , who told me that in my RX 100/2 the fill in flash in M mode does not work with the TTL of the Inon strobe - or any strobe.

I've had no issues using TTL with ys-03 and ys-d2 with my rx100m2 in manual mode, can't comment on the inon though.

I guess that the problem might be solved on the next dive trip ( 2022 hopefully) trying with or without the magnet on different dives ( not risking to loose it while changing underwater) . I never had to use fiber optical cabel so far, due to the great transparent Ikelite housing. And the good test results topside in manuell mode let me hope, that it will work as well with the Inon strobe. ( It fired even holding it behind my back - very sensitive)
I don’t think it will work. When you use the strobe in manual mode, it only needs an impulse from camera flash, the strength of the impulse is not that relevant. You might get away without using a cable.
Inon sTTL mode will mimic the cameras pre-flash and main flash. Strobe needs to copy the light from camera accurately, you need an optic cable for this.
Following statement is from previous link I shared:

Strobe/LED flashlight Compatibility

The highly accurate “S-TTL” Auto mode of INON Z-240/D-2000/S-2000 is supported when connecting via INON “Optical D Cable Type L” products.

I was thinking of this wireless set up from the Inon homepage, because it gives me the freedom of removing the strobe to reach further out or backlight ( I don't like the ultra long arms too much)
But I will take a cable or two just in case

Handy wireless "S-2000" set directly mounted on the Grip Base D4

800x800_s2000set2.jpg

Part Configuration
1) S-2000 Strobe
2) Grip Base D4 Set
3) Mount Base
4) Wide Conversion Lens

Simple "S-2000" set directly attached on the "Grip Base D4 Set" which has broad versatility with every manufactures' underwater housing.
Simple and reliable wireless S-TTL auto exposure.
Appropriate lighting from upper oblique position.
800x800_s2000set2.jpg

I was thinking of this wireless set up from the Inon homepage, because it gives me the freedom of removing the strobe to reach further out or backlight ( I don't like the ultra long arms too much)

I have never seen anyone actually use this kind of setup. Keep in mind that in order for it to work, the mirrors need to be carefully aligned to bounce the light in the proper direction, so it actually gives you far less positioning freedom in comparison to fiber optic cables - you need to set it up and then avoid moving the strobes in order to keep the system aligned. If you want to play with remote strobes, you need proper remote triggers, such as the Anglerfish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom