Inon S2000 with Sony RX 100/2 ?? Need advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The info provided there is incorrect. I have been shooting Sony and Canon cameras with Inon strobes for over a decade, going on two decades. The Inon strobe, all models, is fully compatible with Sony cameras in sTTL with the Sony RX or A series cameras in Manual mode and Flash Fill.

The Sony RX and A series cameras are however not compatible with an Ikelite strobe and trigger that does not have preflash cancel as I have described in the other thread. For TTL to work the camera must fire a preflash for metering. Sony cameras, RX and A series, always fire a preflash and therefore have TTL available in all modes including Manual. What sucks about RX and A series Sony cameras is there is no option to do camera manaul flash fill with no preflash. Therefore all optical controlled strobes must be able to ignore the preflash and fire in sync on the following main flash that actually does the image exposure for manual controlled flash and in sTTL strobe mode fire both the preflash and the main exposure flash for image metering by the cameras exposure system. It sounds complicated, it is not in practice.

I generally shoot my Sony Nauticam NA6400 camera rig with the camera in Manual mode, camera set for flash fill, Inon strobes set in sTTL mode. If you have specific questions regarding Inon strobe operation and Inon sTTL and the magnet preflash/no preflash switch I can probably set you straight if you ask the right questions.

BTW, the sTTL switch selection is not active in strobe sTTL mode, the Inon strobe must default to preflash mode in sTTL because that is what sTTL is by definition. The Inon strobe magnet or rotary preflash/no preflash switch is only active when the Inon strobes are set to Manual mode.
Thank you so much for clarifying this!
I have ikelite strobes and an Ikelite slave sensor. I read the manual of the slave sensor and there is a setting / switch for PRE Flash camera. I am going to try this as last resort. Otherwise I guess I am in the market for Inon strobe!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240720_192028_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240720_192028_Samsung Notes.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0
Thank you so much for clarifying this!
I have ikelite strobes and an Ikelite slave sensor. I read the manual of the slave sensor and there is a setting / switch for PRE Flash camera. I am going to try this as last resort. Otherwise I guess I am in the market for Inon strobe!!!

If the slave trigger has a position for preflash cancel then certainly try it.

The old fashioned way to 100% tell if your camera and strobe is in sync is to stand in front of a mirror and take some shots. Try the slave trigger in both positions. You should see the bright flash of your strobes in the mirror if the strobe and camera are in sync. You should be able to get sync with the preflash cancel enabled on the slave trigger, flash fill on your camera and manual position on the strobe.

The Ikelite strobe is not going to do sTTL I do not think, you will need a optical strobe like the Inon S220 with the sTTL setting or any of a number of strobes with sTTL switch positions (S&S, YS, Retra, Backscatter etc).

Back
Top Bottom