Innovative spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got some Innovative Spring Straps for X-Mas. (For myself of course:wink:). Following the guidelines from LP, I ordered a Medium. I put the on my Mares Quattros and they feel a little tight, maybe 1/2 inch too small. It would be senseless to return because they are $20 and already have $9 in postage wrapped, and to return and next size would be another $18. Plus, the next size up may be too big.

Is there some way to adjust them, stretch them or something?? Has anyone else had this problem?

You can cut them down, but overstretching them would not be advised. Once stretched out it can go too far very quickly. The higher end springs have cave line or the like to keep them from being overstretched. This is something you can easily add to yours.

With one installed on the fin, have you put your booties/shoes/boots on and tried them on for 10 minutes, to see if it causes pain? Are you having a hard time getting them on and off?

Personally I like my fins LOCKED to my feet, as one. No pain though!

What do you mean by cutting them down?

I put my booties on then wore them around the house. I didn't have any trouble putting them on. It just felt very uncomfortable with them on. They were definitely on tight, my foot was all the way into the fin. It just felt a notch too tight, if there was a way to release just a little of the pressure, I think it would be perfect. I think the next size up would be too big.

Any spring will suffer permanent deformation when stretched beyond the elastic limit.
You can stretch them but it has to be done carefully and in a controlled and measured manner.

Using a ruler or a measuring tape, measure unstretched and then stretch out, note the distance, relax the spring, try it on for comfort. Then repeat this but increase the stretched measurement in small increments say 1/4". While it's within the elastic limit you won't feel any difference but suddenly you will feel a relief.
As said above it's very easy to stretch too much so go in small increments with patience.

What do you mean by cutting them down?
You can grab a pair of dikes and cut the springs down. Then using a pair of pliers bend them to for a place for the bolt to go through. You can buy just the springs from McMaster Carr, if you want to lenghten them from what they are now. Sounds like your best bet is to just buy the larger pair. LP is easy on returns typically.

I put my booties on then wore them around the house.
Was everyone in the house laughing at you as you attempted to walk? FWIW water lubes everything up and makes this slide around a little. This can make things looser and more comfortable, or create a pressure point.

I think the next size up would be too big.
See above about cutting.

I put Halcyon spring straps on my Turtles about 3 years ago. They were just a tad tight--not too bad though. They are much looser now--very comfortable and easier to use. It just took some time.

The dog was sure scared of my new "feet". She wouldn't come near me, his behind my wife with her tail between legs.

I would try them in the water before passing judgement. The compression on your booties might be enough to make them feel comfortable right away. Nothing feels right on the surface :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom