Innovative Scuba Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neil:

You do realize they are three different designs for three different strap "types"?

I know folks who use the first type and seem pleased with the performance.

I know noone who uses the second type; no comment.

I use the third type (but not that model) because I use that style of fin (Jetfin, Turtle fin) and am pleased but they are probably the most "difficult" to install because you first need to remove the existing hardware. Actually, my Turtlefins sport a set of homemade and competely (including the is-usually-delrin piece) stainless steel spring straps. A friend of mine machined the stainless pieces. They rock !!!

My wife and I have both used the second ones for a year with no problems.

Just love how easy they make it to put on and take off our fins. However, we do not use the quick release feature - just pull them on/off.

Green_Manelishi:
You do realize they are three different designs for three different strap "types"?

Um, yeah, that's why I posted three different links. :) Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering how and IF those stainless fittings stay in place. It looks like they could just slide off when not wearing the fins. I suppose they're meant to stay put by the friction against the post.

The problem with the 2nd type is that you're still left with the buckles as potential failure ponts.

I make springs for Jets, similar to the last set, and post type fins such as Apollos that look like this:

bladefinished.jpg

bladeside.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Of the 3 you link to, I would personally not buy the 2nd type. The reason being the buckles. YMMV

The picture you posted is not of the most recent IS straps. They now incorporate the buckle and do not use this type of post. Also, on the heel is a paddes piece of material with a thumb loop for easy grasping. I've used all three types with great success

neil:
Um, yeah, that's why I posted three different links. :) Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering how and IF those stainless fittings stay in place. It looks like they could just slide off when not wearing the fins. I suppose they're meant to stay put by the friction against the post.

You're welcome for the feedback. The most significant downside, in my opinion, to any fin-strap arrangement other than the Jet/Turtle/Rocket fin style is that it can be pulled off relatively easily and/or it can jam with sand. There is no way, short of breaking it, that a Jetfin strap can be pulled off, and it certainly is not going to jam.

I don't think mine can be easily pulled off. I don't much sand will get in them, but we haven't been diving were she has to walk around in sand with her fins on so I can't say. I think the knots in line I use inside pretty much block the core at each end. I size them so they aren't stretched very much, should minimize what can get in between the coils.

neil:

I have a set of the first type, my wife has a set of the second type. We think they are great for the type of diving we do. No problems with them at all.

I keep hearing discussion about failure points. Hey, velcro (or hook and loop) is used in military equipment and so are certain types of plastic buckles in some very serious protective equipment.

Back
Top Bottom