Inner Ear Pressure, but can equalize.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Before I start, I have been to an ENT who treats divers, and will be going back again for more follow up...however, in the mean time...I just want to hear everything will be ok Jason. :wink:

Trip planned for next month, seeing I'm a family man now and not some stray, these diving trips are few and far between...so I'm getting concerned about my ears.

History:
Born in 1976--
1 month ago - did a dive in the local mud hole. No issues.
Few days later, still had water in the ears. Had excess wax removed. Day after that came down with swimmers ear. Apparently the quarry water has bacteria. Got that cleared up. :eyebrow:
The wifey and I went to the pool two weeks later and I could equalize, however my left ear was just sore. Not the ear that was infected either. go figure.

Saw the ENT this past Monday..ears check out ok, no infection, drums look great, I can equalize etc etc. He thinks it could be sinus related so I'm shooting Nasonex and am suppose to follow up on Monday. I still feel ear pressure, both ears, but can equalize. Do have slight headaches on the frontal lobe..right above my eyes.

I'm going back to the mud hole tomorrow morning to check my ears out. I want to see if I can equalize and if there is pressure if it gets worse with depth or stays the same. Gonna use a rope to descend so I can closely monitor it and not worry about buoyancy.

Either way I'm following up with the doc on Monday. He mentioned if Nasonex didn't help that he would do a scan of my junk to see what is going on. With a trip on the horizon this is very concerning...the last thing I want to do is to snorkel the entire week on a diving trip. :/

Anyone have an similar experience with these symptoms?

Does drinking booze help this at all?

Thanks for reading..and remember....this could be you,

Jason

I'm old fashioned - relying heavily on Pseudoephedrine and antihistamines both, followed by vinegar & alcohol mix after every dive.

Well I'm nursing a ruptured eardrum from an ear infection I got in a quarry 3 weeks ago. It's getting better, but not much progress until the past two days. I am in no way qualified to give any medical opinion that would be of any value. However as someone who wasn't sure if I would be diving again ever, I have done a lot of google work on ears and diving. So remember, this is worth what you paid for it ... your situation sounds more like sinus to me.

Now, I will say that the absolute best feedback and advice came from the fine folks on this board. I will step out of the way, and let them proceed to help you. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for all the well wishes and paypal donations. Go Brown!!

I was able to get to the quarry and in the water before any students so viz wasn't to bad...was able to dive just fine. Had some ear soreness during the dive, just a little, not enough to abort, but it went away. No problems equalizing.

I wouldn't say I'm a 100%, but I feel better knowing I can dive.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom