Inland water work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CCRescueDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey, I'm sorry if this has been answered, but I couldn't really find anything.. I'm interested in becoming a Commercial Diver, But I don't really want to do offshore work. I'd really like to work here in the Southeast, like in lakes and rivers doing bridges and dam inspections/repair/salvage work anything of that sort. Maybe with the TVA. I wouldn't mind working on the coast either.. I'm currently a Public Safety Diver, so I'm good with black water and the such. I've also got 2 years of college done if that makes a difference. How would you guys recommend going about this? What schools, or more specifically what certificates/training do I need to get my foot in the door? Thanks for your time, and again sorry if this has been answered, but I couldn't find anything about it specifically..

-CCRescueDiver

All you need is an OW certification to go into a commercial dive school. I am not sure what is involved in being a public safty diver but if you are already working for the state becoming an inspection diver for that state would seem like an easy next step. A lot of inland work involves bridges, power plants and river crossings like burying cables. I do not have any experience with dams.

Go to one of the commercial diving schools: Youngs Memorial in Louisiana, Ocean Corp in Houstin, CDA in Jacksonville, etc Association of Commercial Diving Educators

Then write up a resume and go knock on doors.

TVA has a team, the Navy has a team out of Washington D.C. but you have to be an engineer, look in the Construction Blue Book, check with the Association of Diving Contractors ADC International

Unless you are a structural/civil engineer you will be looking for an underwater construction job, so brush up on your welding skills. Just being a diver is not going to get you the job.

I worked for years doing bridge reconstruction in Maryland and the state engineer assigned to one of our jobs could not spell the word "engineer" so it may not be too hard to get that job. Hopefully your state is different but I would go to them first and see what is involved and as you already work for them it is even possible they may pay for you to go to commercial diving school.

Back
Top Bottom