injured foot need dry boot?!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaclubkeywest

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Please help!
I am an instructor in Key West. This is the time of year I make money... until this morning when I dropped a 20lb lead weight we use for our descent line on my foot. Two toes are broken :( but one is COMPLETELY obliterated, shatterd, destroyed, etc.
Basically, it popped open in 3 different spots, looks like shredded beef and hurts like hell. No help for that, but I need to work!! Is there a dry suit boot or DIY solution I can use so that I can still work? The Dr at the emergency room told me 4-6 weeks out of the water- I refuse to accept that!!
I am handy with SCUBA equipment, but unfortunately, due to my location I am completely unfamiliar with drysuits!
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

~~~~>)))>~~~~>)))>~~~~>)))>~~~~

Dry boots are attached to the suit or a neoprene sock is attached to the suit and a boot put on over it. Boots themselves that are not attached are not dry. I don't know of a boot made that will keep your foot dry. It's either follow the docs advice or get out a plastic bag and the waterproof adhesive tape. And don't forget to take into account the compression of the bag if you don't get all the air out. Probably gonna get a wrinkle in the bag right over the toe. If you don't have a way to compensate for it it'll most likely leave a nice welt. Please do not try this last suggestion. It's meant as a joke. And do some research on how a drysuit works. Oh and by the way- OOOUUUCCHHHHH!

You could make one yourself easy enough. USIA has a rubber boot you could put an ankle seal on. Look at the sporting good store, find a rubber boot and glue an ankle seal on that.

Easy fix

Please help!
I am an instructor in Key West. This is the time of year I make money... until this morning when I dropped a 20lb lead weight we use for our descent line on my foot. Two toes are broken :( but one is COMPLETELY obliterated, shatterd, destroyed, etc.
Basically, it popped open in 3 different spots, looks like shredded beef and hurts like hell. No help for that, but I need to work!! Is there a dry suit boot or DIY solution I can use so that I can still work? The Dr at the emergency room told me 4-6 weeks out of the water- I refuse to accept that!!
I am handy with SCUBA equipment, but unfortunately, due to my location I am completely unfamiliar with drysuits!
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

You should probably listen to your doctor.

Even if you wear a drysuit and even if it stays dry (they don't always), the inside of the suit typically stays quite damp from sweat, and grows all sorts of bacteria, fungi and mold that you really don't want inside an open wound. And this is in cold water in a cool area. In a tropical environment, I wouldn't even want to guess what you could grow in a drysuit boot.

When we get back from drysuit dives, everybody plays "guess the wet spot", trying to decide if it's sweat or leakage.

Terry

I definitely would not recommend making your own "dry boot!"

A dry suit requires an inflator hose connected to it from a regulator to prevent "suit squeeze" at depth. As you descend the suit compresses, and you add air to stop the squeeze. Suit squeeze can be uncomfortable at best, but most likely would be excruciatingly painful with two broken toes! You may want to follow your doctor's advice on this one.

Sorry for your misfortune.

Back
Top Bottom