Injured Diving, My Bad...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arduous

Contributor
Reaction score
Just a note for you older divers out there. At least the one’s diving in cold weather / water. On Oct 22nd, I took a dive charter out of Gloucester MA. We went to Saturday-Night Ledge and the Chester Poling. I believe this was the 1st time I had taken this particular charter. The boat was, the Day Breaker. The captain and crew were helpful and tolerant of those of us diving doubles.

The weather was calm, but cold on that morning. The air temperature was 34 degrees.
By time we reached our 1st destination, (Saturday-Night Ledge) and dealt with the missing mooring line problems, brought on by past bad weather, we had been on the boat for about 40 or 50 minutes.

I was diving steel doubles, and carrying one 40 cbft deco cylinder on my left side. The crew was helpful with the gear up process and assisted me to the swim step. Stepping off with my left foot, I performed a giant stride entry off the boat.

Upon hitting the water, I immediately knew there was something wrong. My left calf muscle was in intense pain. Thinking this was a cramp, I attempted to work it out as I descended. It never got any better. I completed this dive, which was 35 minutes in total.

Climbing back onto the deck of the boat, proved very painful. I was unable to walk on my left foot. It was miserable. I was trying to convince myself that I just pulled or strained the muscle, all the while fearing I tore it. Being the diving nit-wit that I am, I went back into the water, at the sight of the Poling, and performed another 40 minute dive.

After this incident, I hobbled around for 1 week on my left leg, before seeking a medical professional. When all was said and done, I had torn my calf muscle. Doc says 6 to 10 week, for this tear to heal. (No surgery required).

I would like to say up front, that neither the Captain, his crew, or any equipment on the Day Breaker, played any roll in my injury. Though the boat had a heated cabin, I chose to stay outside for most of the ride. This exposed me unnecessarily to wind and cold. Being an older person, (almost 50) I’m not as flexible as the younger crowd. The fins I use are rather stiff and, when I stepped off the boat into the water, my left fin bent upwards towards me, hyper extending my calf muscle, and causing it to tear.

I wrote this to share my experience with others who dive in the cold. I would also like to pint out, that I’m no couch potato. I am a very active person, who had just climbed to the top of Mount Chocorua, in NH, 3 weeks before this accident. So even people in relatively good shape can succumb to injuries of this type. STAY WARM, DIVE SAFE.

Arduous:
Just a note for you older divers out there. At least the one’s diving in cold weather / water. On Oct 22nd, I took a dive charter out of Gloucester MA. We went to Saturday-Night Ledge and the Chester Poling. I believe this was the 1st time I had taken this particular charter. The boat was, the Day Breaker. The captain and crew were helpful and tolerant of those of us diving doubles.

The weather was calm, but cold on that morning. The air temperature was 34 degrees.
By time we reached our 1st destination, (Saturday-Night Ledge) and dealt with the missing mooring line problems, brought on by past bad weather, we had been on the boat for about 40 or 50 minutes.

I was diving steel doubles, and carrying one 40 cbft deco cylinder on my left side. The crew was helpful with the gear up process and assisted me to the swim step. Stepping off with my left foot, I performed a giant stride entry off the boat.

Upon hitting the water, I immediately knew there was something wrong. My left calf muscle was in intense pain. Thinking this was a cramp, I attempted to work it out as I descended. It never got any better. I completed this dive, which was 35 minutes in total.

Climbing back onto the deck of the boat, proved very painful. I was unable to walk on my left foot. It was miserable. I was trying to convince myself that I just pulled or strained the muscle, all the while fearing I tore it. Being the diving nit-wit that I am, I went back into the water, at the sight of the Poling, and performed another 40 minute dive.

After this incident, I hobbled around for 1 week on my left leg, before seeking a medical professional. When all was said and done, I had torn my calf muscle. Doc says 6 to 10 week, for this tear to heal. (No surgery required).

I would like to say up front, that neither the Captain, his crew, or any equipment on the Day Breaker, played any roll in my injury. Though the boat had a heated cabin, I chose to stay outside for most of the ride. This exposed me unnecessarily to wind and cold. Being an older person, (almost 50) I’m not as flexible as the younger crowd. The fins I use are rather stiff and, when I stepped off the boat into the water, my left fin bent upwards towards me, hyper extending my calf muscle, and causing it to tear.

I wrote this to share my experience with others who dive in the cold. I would also like to pint out, that I’m no couch potato. I am a very active person, who had just climbed to the top of Mount Chocorua, in NH, 3 weeks before this accident. So even people in relatively good shape can succumb to injuries of this type. STAY WARM, DIVE SAFE.
glad too hear you will be okay soon, just a bit of a long SI !! thanks for posting!!! take care and dive safe!!

Something to think about.

Cold cramped environment before the dive.
We don't do any warm up and streatching exercises before we dive.
Doubles plus a deco bottle is a significant weight (guessing over 100 lbs).
Giant stride drop of a couple of feet to give everything some added momentum.
Straight knees, Stiff fins and a rising wave
All that energy has to be absorbed by the calf muscle acting as a shock absorber.

All in all I am surprised that this is not a more common injury, or you could have snapped your achilles tendon.

From experience don't rush your recovery time, and get a good sports physio to strengthen your calf muscles before you go back to diving.
I would give up giant strides for awhile or at least step off with the other foot forward, if you rip it again then recovery time is a lot longer.

Warm up and do some stretching exercises before each dive(Hindsight!). I tend to cramp up towards the end of some dives, especially in the calves. So, I always try to remember to stretch my calf muscles real good beforehand. I've had a few calf cramps I thought were tears because of the pain, but tearing one, ouch! Glad it's not too serious and you'll be healed and ready to go by Spring. Also, thanks for the story...I'll be sure to remember to stretch my calf muscles for sure now.

LobstaMan

Yes...on the ouch...Glad you will be ok!!!

Near 50 is "older"? Double ouch!

With that much gear, cold weather and no stretching prior to the dive I can see that happening.

Glad you're OK.

Thanks for the story.

Anyway you can use this to justify more diving gear? Say a DPV?

Get well soon.

Back
Top Bottom