initial planning stages for Alcina's first visit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Howdy, All! the Philippines have been on the list for a while and I'm trying to lock in a visit in the next 12 months. I am geographically challenged so am popping a thread up here that is going to be probably more general that totally specific. Here's the info I can give you:

- projected duration: 14+ days; I'd like to do 21ish but depending on budgets and sites I might combine this trip with another location
- time of year: no idea, pretty flexible bar June/July 2013 so far. want great diving and reasonable weather. It doesn't need to be picture postcard every day but I'd like the best chance to not get done out of dive days due to bad conditions.
*I'm not a huge fan of moving all the time so I'd like one or two or three destinations max. Each must offer a variety of sites and tons of critters. I just stayed at NAD Lembeh for 14 days and it wasn't long enough.
- my experience: yup, I can dive :) I always dive with a camera.
- critters I like: small, funky stuff rocks. Big schools are all well and good for ten minutes, then show me the neat things. Beautiful corals are, well, beautiful, but if they aren't hiding all manner of creatures then they only hold my interest for a few minutes.
- accommodation preferences: comfy bed, air-con (if needed), a good hot water shower and I'm good to go. I do not need luxury and I don't share bathrooms. Comfortable and modestly priced - I'd rather spend finite funds on diving
- traveling alone at this stage
- misc underwater stuff: not a fan of currents. big fan of being able to spend time with creatures, taking photos and just generally enjoy being underwater. depth means nothing to me, I don't have to dive deep to prove how cool I am.
- dive operators: need ops that are flexible with guides and letting me just get on with it. don't buddy dive/babysit strangers.
- other stuff: prefer being close to local divers so we can at least catch up for a beer or three after the dive day! Would love to meet as many SBers as I can. Do not need the post-pubescent let's get totally ****-faced every night party scene. Simple, local (maybe, no idea what the local food is LOL), inexpensive food - don't need 4* restaurants. In Bali I predominantly eat from the food carts and warungs that cater to the local guides etc.

I have only done a very modest amount of research into places so far. I really don't like to build expectations or pretend to know everything about the place I'm going to visit - first time I went to Lembeh I didn't even know where it was or even really what I was going to see beyond "super tiny & unusual creatures", just got on a plane :)

Thanks in advance - excited to try to get this trip locked in!

A couple of things from my recent visit to the Philippines.

Coron was nice diving with Barracuda Lake being a highlight. Some reef structures and small stuff, the wrecks have lots of life and with decent vis would be great diving, but the vis when I was there in Feb was awful - less than 20 feet. Coron hotel Sea Dive is a hangout for divers, basic accommodation and OK food. Lots of other choices - did this from a liveaboard so can't really offer advice.

Anilo, diving was good as a muck diving site. Some reef structures with some coral, but for me the muck diving was the highlight. Did it from a liveaboard which was a mistake - no need. Lots of inexpensive options to stay on shore and we were diving their house reefs more than not. Thought the diving here was slightly better than Dumagete but hard to compare.

Dumagete, was also good as a muck diving site. A trip to Apo Island provided a nice reef structure with very healthy corals. Did not do as much diving as I wanted as I was sick for 4 of the 7 days I was there, but the diving I did was excellent. Stayed with Liquid Dumagete and would recommend it no qualifications at all. Better than basic accommodations, you get a separate hut with a comfortable bed, bathroom and hot shower with an ocean view from a porch on the hut and the cost was very reasonable. No air-con, but did not miss it at all as you are right on the ocean and the ocean breeze kept the hut cool. Dive guides are excellent, service is excellent as is the food. A very friendly comfortable place to stay. I would suggest that this is exactly what you are looking for to spend a week to 10 days before moving on to another site.

Heading there in just over two weeks (Anilao and Puerto Galera). Will post reports.

I think Anilao is on the must stay list. Tried to access the web site for Club Ocellaris as I saw that's where you were staying, Dr Bill, but their web site is uselss. Do you mind popping up the rates or dropping a quick PM with a ballpark?

Darnold - that does sound like the right kind of accommodation!

Alphatical order only.
With 14 days:
1. Anilao + PG
2. Dumaguete and its surrounding
3. Malapascua + Southern Leyte
With 21 days:
1. Add Bohol to either 2 or 3 of the above.
2. Add Subic Bay to Anilao and PG.

Coron(very good for wrecks), this is a tricky one in term of getting there. You need to travel to either Cebu or Manila for the short flight.

Merry and I are at Club Ocellaris with Kevin Lee right now. I'm told that April is the best time of the year to dive here. Our DM, Peri is great at finding all the tiny creatures you can shake a lens at. Our diving has been pretty loose. We follow Peri for awhile, then look for subjects on our own. No limit on dive times, and no problem with solo diving.

March4-31_zpsc9bb75bc.jpg

March4-14_zps5604dfdc.jpg

march3-25_zpsb478db00.jpg

March2nightdive37_zps53d65539.jpg

March2nightdive10_zps7108a554.jpg

ClubO9_zps99b19365.jpg

How are the water temps? I was at Anilao last year in April (or was it the year before?) and "froze" my butt off in 23° water! (But my butt is used to much warmer water, so it was a bit of a shock.)

Back
Top Bottom