Infuriating (to me) scuba scene in a car commercial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a theory that commercials have only marginal effect on people's buying choices (I do not know about you guys but this is certainly true for me). Hence, the theory goes, the real reason why commercials are paid for is that the corporations want to demonstrate that they have enough money to spend on commercials. Probably, Jeep is just trying to tell us they are still in business. Lest we forget.

To support this, I'd say that there was a time when Jeep was unique and maybe back then any "outdoorsy" commercial could have been a success for them. However, these days there are legions of other SUVs better than Jeep. In fact, when I park for hiking or Nordic skiing off some fire road, 90% of the cars in the lot would be not Jeeps but Subarus and Toyotas. So, if Jeep really wanted a "buy us" commercial, they'll pay for a content that will demonstrate their advantages over competitors.

Often car company commercials actually target recent buyers. Nothing sells better than word of mouth, except for brand loyalty, (I say this as someone who has owned four Jeeps.)

I buy wranglers in large part because of their resale values, low cost to own, and because they keep up with my lifestyle. I can load it up for a vacation, trailer my ATVs. I can go in an off-road adventure one weekend then scuba the next. When it’s full of sand and/or dirt I pull the floor plugs and hose it out. When the temperature isn’t so hot I can pop the roof and doors off and leave them in the garage. No other vehicle made today has all that versatility.

That said, I live in SoFla... there is no snow. If my primary use was the situation you described I’d probably have a Subaru.

This popped up in my feed today. Not bad-- they've got full wetsuits, masks around their necks, and fins in hand.
Hey, they actually look they could be real divers. She even has a slate snapped onto a "D" ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom