Infuriating (to me) scuba scene in a car commercial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL, you all are more observant than me. The only thing that caught my eye was that shorty was diving in a shorty, and of course I thought she would freeze.

However, I was more generous and/or flexible than many of you. It looked like California or the Pacific Northwest to me, but I granted that maybe this was freshwater in the summer ... maybe that makes it possible? Or maybe its New Zealand (can you dive there in a shorty?). In any case, I didnt want to so easily send homegirl to her watery hypothermic death.

And a sidenote, I once dove with someone in Carmel, he dives without a hood. Couldnt be me, but he apparently could. Ive dove many times w/ dudes with no gloves.

Oh, dear god. I paused this scene from a car commercial to get a closer look at this couple and their dive gear, and what I see makes me twitch.

The girl's tank is mounted backward, so the first-stage regulator is likewise backward. She's gonna bash her head on the yoke knob. Hard. Even worse, that orientation routes both her primary second-stage regulator hose and her backup reg hose to her left side; the regs will be upside down when she tries to use them, and she'll get a lungful of water.

The guy doesn't even appear to have a primary second stage regulator; all he has is a single backup reg, and that one's a mess. The hose drapes over his shoulder instead of hanging underneath it, and the reg is dangling free instead of being clipped off.

Neither the guy nor the girl has an air pressure gauge, depth gauge, timing device, or compass. Even Mike Nelson, that old-school he-man from Sea Hunt, carried more gear than this.

And finally, the commercial seems to imply these people are in California, where the water temps range from the high 50s up north through the mid-60s down south. Problem is, the girl is wearing a shorty suit, and those wetsuits look like they're only 3mm thick. Oh...and they're not wearing or carrying hoods. Here comes hypothermia!

To top off this horrorshow, the tiny disclaimer at screen bottom reads, "Experienced people shown. Do not attempt." Pfffft. More like "These utterly clueless models are about to die horribly. Do not attempt."

Why does any of this matter when they're just going to be eaten by a shark or attacked by other divers like in Sea Hunt? lol

This popped up in my feed today. Not bad-- they've got full wetsuits, masks around their necks, and fins in hand.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210304-081041_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210304-081041_Instagram.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 122
I haven't read all the posts but the cameraman likely moved it so the hoses weren't blocking the actress' face.

i dont think yall understand commercials.

they are selling cars....not scuba gear.....no one is looking for info to set up scuba gear and going "hmmm, i think ill reference that chevy commercial from 2003 , thats a good source of information".....

Chevy is going "hey, lets get some people doing outdoorsy stuff to make our cars look outdoorsy".....they dont care about technical accuracy.....and they dont care that you notice.....and they dont care that you are offended by a backwards tank........they dont care because 99.99999% of the people buying Chevy cars dont care.

they arent going to hire technical consultants for every activity they are listing in their commercial, just so they dont get a detail wrong....its a 30 second commercial that is going to run for 6 months....

im going to let you in on a secret.....TV is not real life......if chevy had little green Martians running around on screen, would you expect Neil deGrasse Tyson to chime in and go "well actually thats not a realistic depiction of martial life"

i dont think yall understand commercials.

they are selling cars....not scuba gear.....no one is looking for info to set up scuba gear and going "hmmm, i think ill reference that chevy commercial from 2003 , thats a good source of information".....

Chevy is going "hey, lets get some people doing outdoorsy stuff to make our cars look outdoorsy".....they dont care about technical accuracy.....and they dont care that you notice.....and they dont care that you are offended by a backwards tank........they dont care because 99.99999% of the people buying Chevy cars dont care.

they arent going to hire technical consultants for every activity they are listing in their commercial, just so they dont get a detail wrong....its a 30 second commercial that is going to run for 6 months....

im going to let you in on a secret.....TV is not real life......if chevy had little green Martians running around on screen, would you expect Neil deGrasse Tyson to chime in and go "well actually thats not a realistic depiction of martial life"
This is called a "whoosh." That's the sound you hear when a joke goes over your head.

Everyone realizes it's tv and it doesn't matter. The comments are meant to be funny.

This thread has over 5000 views. Their blooper resulted in a lot of free advertising on ScubaBoard. Maybe it wasn't so dumb after all.

This thread has over 5000 views. Their blooper resulted in a lot of free advertising on ScubaBoard. Maybe it wasn't so dumb after all.
There is a theory that commercials have only marginal effect on people's buying choices (I do not know about you guys but this is certainly true for me). Hence, the theory goes, the real reason why commercials are paid for is that the corporations want to demonstrate that they have enough money to spend on commercials. Probably, Jeep is just trying to tell us they are still in business. Lest we forget.

To support this, I'd say that there was a time when Jeep was unique and maybe back then any "outdoorsy" commercial could have been a success for them. However, these days there are legions of other SUVs better than Jeep. In fact, when I park for hiking or Nordic skiing off some fire road, 90% of the cars in the lot would be not Jeeps but Subarus and Toyotas. So, if Jeep really wanted a "buy us" commercial, they'll pay for a content that will demonstrate their advantages over competitors.

This is called a "whoosh." That's the sound you hear when a joke goes over your head.

Everyone realizes it's tv and it doesn't matter. The comments are meant to be funny.
mmmm no, OP was clearly being serious....dont try to gas light me.

Back
Top Bottom