Information on woman who was bent in Cayman Brac last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which reminds me of the favorite expression of an old friend of mine, when choosing a beer over a glass of water... "You know what fish do in that stuff, right?" :-D

I'll have to remember that...funny.

I did get bent but on Grand Cayman, not the Brac. Pretty scary but fortunately, I got great care from Ocean Frontiers, the docs and the chamber people and of course, my CHUM buddies. I honestly don't know what I would have done without them. They are the definition of buddies.

I had a follow up appointment with a doctor here and will have an echo with a bubble study to see if I have a PFO. The doctor said that even if I do, I may still be able to dive but I'd have some restrictions. Right now, it's one step at a time. I do need to see an ENT for my ear as that's not getting any better. Not any worse, but no better so that's a step too.

Other than the ear, though, I'm back to my old self. Thank goodness! :D

From reading this thread, it looks like there may have been a woman who got bent on the Brac; I hope she's ok too.

Its not the end of the world if you have a PFO. My wife does and has been bent a few times. Cant be fixed as its too small and not straight through the skin. We have modified how she dives and she can still do deco diving to 55m as long as she follows the rules that work for her. Nitrox where possible for all dives, deep dives require high levels of oxygen for deco and a very non aggressive deco profiles. No more than 2 dives a day and if deep deco then only one. After 3 days diving have a day break. She dumps her gear in the water and gets back on the boat with no gear, and cannot help dragging cylinders or gear about after the dive. No physical stress after the dive.

It works for her, but if she pushes the envelope she will get bent again. Still allows her to dive , as long as she follows the rules for her.

Thanks so much for this info; it makes me feel better and like I don't have to give it up completely. I haven't yet had the echo w/bubble study done so I still don't know if I have one or not.

I did go to the ENT for my ear issue and got steroids - which did help some. He said they'd either work or not - fortunately, they worked to a degree. It's not like it was before but it's not as bad as it was after :)

In the meantime, I'm just snorking .....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom