Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gekodivebali

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
To all lucky travellers heading to Indonesia soon,

I'd like to give a quick Visa update to the Scubaboard community, so they avoid sticky situations. For divers from many countries, there are now 2 types of Visa on arrival: Free Visa On Arrival and Paid Visa On Arrival (35USD).
Travellers lucky enough to spend more than a month in Indo need to get the Paid Visa On Arrival. The Free Visa On Arrival can no more be extended, even through agents.
Paid Visa On Arrival can still be extended for a second month, either through agents or by going to the Immigration Office in Denpasar. Either way this needs to be done at least 7 working days before the end of the original tourist Visa.
Using an agent means handling your Passport to a stranger and may amount to a total leap of faith for travellers unaccustomed to this type of practices. That being said, using a good agent saves you a lot of hassles, costs just a bit more (65USD Vs 30USD) and means you only have to go to the Immigration office once (to get your picture & fingerprints taken).

Hopefully, this will save some trouble to some travellers and allow them to fully enjoy their time in this fabulous country. We actually had a guest who ended up cancelling his liveaboard in Komodo (with no refund awarded by the liveaboard operator) as he had to organise a last minute Visa run... What a waste of money and holiday time!

On a last note: beware of last minute changes to Visa extension rules in Indonesia. The info presented here is valid as of today (7/28/16). This may not be the case as soon as a few weeks from now...

To all lucky travellers heading to Indonesia soon,

I'd like to give a quick Visa update to the Scubaboard community, so they avoid sticky situations. For divers from many countries, there are now 2 types of Visa on arrival: Free Visa On Arrival and Paid Visa On Arrival (35USD).
Travellers lucky enough to spend more than a month in Indo need to get the Paid Visa On Arrival. The Free Visa On Arrival can no more be extended, even through agents.
Paid Visa On Arrival can still be extended for a second month, either through agents or by going to the Immigration Office in Denpasar. Either way this needs to be done at least 7 working days before the end of the original tourist Visa.
Using an agent means handling your Passport to a stranger and may amount to a total leap of faith for travellers unaccustomed to this type of practices. That being said, using a good agent saves you a lot of hassles, costs just a bit more (65USD Vs 30USD) and means you only have to go to the Immigration office once (to get your picture & fingerprints taken).

Hopefully, this will save some trouble to some travellers and allow them to fully enjoy their time in this fabulous country. We actually had a guest who ended up cancelling his liveaboard in Komodo (with no refund awarded by the liveaboard operator) as he had to organise a last minute Visa run... What a waste of money and holiday time!

On a last note: beware of last minute changes to Visa extension rules in Indonesia. The info presented here is valid as of today (7/28/16). This may not be the case as soon as a few weeks from now...

More excellent information from Geko! :)

We actually are going through the one-month extension process now. I'm glad you summarized what I *thought* I know...I appreciate that.

We made an appointment with a visa agent that was recommended to us. We might have to take a day off from our diving with you guys to get our fingerprints taken....I hope not! I'm hoping to get that appointment on a day when we know we won't be diving.

- Bill & Emily

One more thing:

When you arrive at the Denpassar airport, there is a large sign that says "VOA". If you plan to stay for less than 30 days, just keep walking.

If you plan on staying more than 30 days, you need to go to that VOA counter and pay the $35 as Geko indicated. Lots of people go to that counter who do not need to do so, consequently when we passed through last week, there was an agent shooing everybody onward. It was only when we said the magic words "60 Days" that he would talk to us. Nicely confusing!

- Bill

I am staying exactly 30 days. Should I get the VOA?

Dunno. I believe that Day #1 is the day you ARRIVE. Why not pay the $35 and be "safe"? It would require a trip to the visa office (and I guess an agent) though.

OTOH I have heard that you can overstay the visa (for a short period) and pay a small fine and be on your way...that is not my style though...

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom