Info on The Bay of Pigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noob@40

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All

Last spring I took an excursion from Varedero Cuba to the Bay of Pigs for two wonderful dives. My only regret is that we didn't pay much attention to the exact location we went to. The excursion consisted of a 3 hr bus ride to the site with a stop at a small shop / canteen, the dives and the return trip home. The operators were not much for conversation or giving details as to where we were. I didn't mind this as we met lots of great divers on the trip plus I took a photo of the large map on the wall of the shop we stopped at. Unfortunatlly this photo was lost along with my camera so it is no help.
If anyone out there has some info on the area I would really appriciate it. Here is what I know:
It was in the bay of Pigs
When I asked where the site was the DM told me "It means Fish cave"
Off shore and to the left is a steep wall
Off shore and to the right is a wreck. it is the one in my photo
There is a huge wrass that lives around this wreck.
I did take photos of signs etc but they were all lost.

Hey! I just might do that dive next week -- I'm leaving for Varadero tomorrow! If I find anything out, I'll post back accordingly.

In the meantime, I'd like to take this opportunity to ask a question or two if you don't mind.

Did you bring your own gear or rent? If you rented, what was the condition of the dive shop's gear? If you brought your own, were you pinged for overweight luggage at Cuban customs? I'm planning on only bringing the essentials -- wetsuit, prescription mask, computer and reg.

Any suggestions/experiences will be greatly appreciated! :)

Hi annasea

We rented all of the gear except mask, fins & snorkel. The rental gear was in good condition. I would reccommend bringing your own reg set as I will be doing on our next trip there. Some had issues with minor leaks that were fixed or replaced quickly. Most charter flights will let you bring a seperate bag for sports but as of last year you are charged a tax if you are over a certain weight. I forget the magic number but Im sure you can find out on any of the travel web sites.

We were at the very end of the strip so we dove with the small Marina dive shop. I have heard that Barracuda Dive Center, midway down the strip is a better run shop but I don't know for sure. Either way the dive itself is not to be missed. This was the best 75CUC I have ever spent in Cuba and I have had some great times there.

Have a great time and let us know how it goes.

P.S.
If you have a spouse that doesn't dive, bring them along. The snorkeling is also wonderful and they can see you on most of your dives. The ride to the site is also very interesting. It gives you a small sample of the real Cuba

I will be heading down to Varadero on the 20th of Oct for 2 weeks and am intersted in what your favorite dive were and why.

I am a camera junky so me and over 4G + lap top are heading down Hopefully I will get some good video as well.

undersea Kat
The only dives I did were the 2 mentioned above. I have never seen as many different kinds of kritters as on these dives. the sea floor decends gradually as you go away from shore. On the way there are many different corals, huge tube sponges and too may different fish to mention. When you reach the wall (at about 30 ft)it drops to around 700 ft. The wall surface is filled with nooks and crannys all homes to more life. You will surley be able to fill your memory card, but save some for the wreck.
On the wreck dive we took a slightly different path out over the same type of terrain until we saw the wreck in the distance (more than 100 ft away) The wreck itself is not spactacular. no guns or anything but it is in one piece and has quite a few fish living around it. Apparently the wrass I mentioned is there all of the time. The DM said he was around 300lbs but I would say it was closer to 200lbs. In either case this is the largest fish I have seen on a dive. Beyond the wreck is another part of the wall that we followed for awhile before turning back.
On both dives we followed the ocean floor all the way back so there was lots to see on our safety stops.
We also did a sailing tour on the Atlantic side. This consisted of a stop for snorkeling (about an hour). There was also lots to see there including octopuss, morey eels and many parrot fish, snappers and others. We then went to an island (cayo blanko I think) for lobster and shrimp and then on to a penned off area in the middle of the ocean to swim with dolphins.Booze is included but since we were diving the next day I did not take full advantage.This was also a very good day and is great for the family.
I'm sure you will have a great time wherever you choose to dive.

thanks for the info
the count down seems to be taking forever..12 more sleeps.

I have never seen as many different kinds of kritters as on these dives. the sea floor decends gradually as you go away from shore. On the way there are many different corals, huge tube sponges and too may different fish to mention. When you reach the wall (at about 30 ft)it drops to around 700 ft. The wall surface is filled with nooks and crannys all homes to more life. You will surley be able to fill your memory card, but save some for the wreck.
On the wreck dive we took a slightly different path out over the same type of terrain until we saw the wreck in the distance (more than 100 ft away) The wreck itself is not spactacular. no guns or anything but it is in one piece and has quite a few fish living around it. Apparently the wrass I mentioned is there all of the time. The DM said he was around 300lbs but I would say it was closer to 200lbs. In either case this is the largest fish I have seen on a dive. Beyond the wreck is another part of the wall that we followed for awhile before turning back.
On both dives we followed the ocean floor all the way back so there was lots to see on our safety stops.

Hey Noob. Those are the same two dives I did at the Bay of Pigs 3 years ago. I also did not have the actual name of the sites, just Bay of Pigs. These were the two best shore dives I've done. Actually the wall dive is still among the best wall dives I've had. The tube sponges were long and colorful.

I just got certified the year before the trip to Veradero. Then at the trip to Veradero (stayed at Beaches Veradero), the dives at Veradero were nothing special. But due to bad weather for a few days and I asked the dive op there and they sent me to downtown Veradero to the Barracuda Dive op. So it was the same experience as you, 2.5hr bus ride to the south of the island for the two shore dives. I did have a cheap disposal U/W camera at the time, but nothing turned out. After that I bought a real camera the MX10.

Anyway, glad to hear of another diver having the same good experience at the Bay of Pigs.

Great to hear from you Torontonian. Due to the lack of responses I was beginning to think that I dreamed the whole trip. These were also my best dives to date but so far the rest of my experience is here around Halifax. Not that this is a bad thing. Diving here in a 7ml all the time makes you appriciate the vacation dives even more.

Actually the whole road down to the end of the Bay of Pigs has numerous shore dives, matching your description. Our shop goes there every year. If you want to know the name send an email to Pepe or Sherry at info@adventuredivers.ca. Pepe is an expat Cuban who knows the area very well.

Great to hear from you Torontonian. Due to the lack of responses I was beginning to think that I dreamed the whole trip. These were also my best dives to date but so far the rest of my experience is here around Halifax. Not that this is a bad thing. Diving here in a 7ml all the time makes you appriciate the vacation dives even more.
It was so good it was like a dream wasn't it. Well, I totally understand that. I don't dive here in Ontario. In the summer, the local dive op told me they only take advanced divers to 60' in Lake Ontario. You'd wear 6-7mm inside and 6-7mm outside. The air could be 25c but the water drops to 12c half way down. It'll be muddy water, won't see any coral growth but maybe sponges and probably won't see any fish. Wow, exciting.

I also don't like the cold, so it's only warm water diving for me.

Butch, amazing to hear there are several shore dives fitting the description. That means Bay of Pigs is a very good diving place. People should enjoy it because when Cuba opens up, the place will be swamped by Americans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom