info. on reaf master dc310

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red E2 dive

Reaction score
I'm new to sb so if I'm in the wrong place please redirect me. My question is about the reaf master dc310 is it a good camera for the money. I don't own a camera, but I have barrowed one on a few ocations. I enjoy being able to share my experinces with other people, and I think photogrophy is somthing I will enjoy. also should I opt for the pro kit. Any info. you guy's can give will be great.

Welcome!!

You can do a search with the search function - use the advanced feature to type in your keywords (like dc310 or reefmaster) and then select the UW Photo forum. You'll find lots of conversation on this system

FWIW in a nutshell, I'd go for a consumer camera like the Canon A series and the Canon housing instead. I believe they are better cameras uw and above water. Olympus, Fuji and Sony also offer cameras you might consider. The A series can grow with you - you can add strobes and lenses later.

If you are already keen on photography, have a look at the Olympus 5050 - it's a very nice, very versatile system, too.

If you have the money and time to dive a dslr is wonderful...but pricey. I haven't moved to one and I have access to diving on a regular basis. I'll stick with the Oly 5050 for now :wink:

Are you looking for fun pics that you can share with friends/family or postcard quality pics? I used to use a DC310 with the Reefmaster Strobe and it took fun pictures, no complaints, especially since it was a friends and I didn't have to pay for it :)

When I purchased my own camera, I went for the Oly 5060 and a housing for it. Better quality pictures and all the manual options I need to make for some pretty outstanding pictures(now if only I was a skilled enough photographer to take the outstanding pics the camera is capable of :wink: ).

Its really all in what you are looking for... Personally, I don't think the DC310 is bad at all for the price if you just want something to take pics and show friends.

I was just looking at this road a few weeks ago. I had a sealife CL 35mm film w/strobe and a few other sealife products. I was looking to get a DC 310 and the best deal I could find was going to cost me in the range of $300-$320 for a brand new camera.

I decided to get a refurbished oly c-5000 for $199 w/ a manufacturer warranty of 90 days on the camera, plus I paid to insure it through DEPP.

I then paid $140 for the PT-019 housing to go with the c-5000.

So for an extra $20-$40 I ended up with a way better camera than what the dc310 has to offer. It's a 5mp and looks much better topside as well as below.

On another note, I got some really good photos in roatan with my sealife, strobe, macro. I wouldn't call them funshots as they look really good. Sealife's are definately not bad cameras. I do however agree with Alcina 100% and decided to go the other route. I even sold my other camera setup to help pay for most of this one. I am very pleased with the camera.

Matt

The same money you spend on a Reefmaster can get you:

A Canon A85 4MP with Canon housing
A Nikon Coolpix 4200 in a Fantasea housing

The Reefmaster is appealing because it has a nice yellow housing. It looks serious. Now take a look at the camera itself. I think the camera is comparable to this:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...4?_encoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0001659B8

I would go for the Nikon or Canon. They have better resolution, good lenses (with a real zoom) and are really useful outside of the housing.

Red E2 dive:
I'm new to sb so if I'm in the wrong place please redirect me. My question is about the reaf master dc310 is it a good camera for the money. I don't own a camera, but I have barrowed one on a few ocations. I enjoy being able to share my experinces with other people, and I think photogrophy is somthing I will enjoy. also should I opt for the pro kit. Any info. you guy's can give will be great.

I have a ReefMaster DC310 and am very happy with it both in and out of the water. I'm also very happy with the service that ReefMaster people provide. I had a little spring come loose on a button and they replaced the entire housing - quickly!

Take a look at my gallery - I posted some pictures that I took with the DC310.

I have dual strobes, both the close up kit and the wide angle. I just purchased the flash link accessory and am planning on using the camera this weekend and in the Bahamas week after next.

I like being able to switch out lenses on the dive - if a macro situation shows up - I have what I need and if it's a wide angle situation - again I have what I need and can switch from one to the other on the dive. No more being set up for one and then a great opportunity is missed.

I bought my entire set up - piece by piece using EBay, Got some good prices.

Good luck

NAIBDiver1

Corigan:
On another note, I got some really good photos in roatan with my sealife, strobe, macro. I wouldn't call them funshots as they look really good.
Matt

You were using the 35mm film camera though, not the DC310 correct? The digital is very limited IMO from over 2 dozen dives and several thousand pictures using one.

SuPrBuGmAn:
You were using the 35mm film camera though, not the DC310 correct? The digital is very limited IMO from over 2 dozen dives and several thousand pictures using one.
Correct. I was commenting that I have gotten decent shots with a macro lens, strobe, and a sealife 35mm film (CL).

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom