info/advice-will be diving at stetson soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi everyone, my husband and i have been diving almost a year and a half now. (i am hooked, by the way!) we have our advanced open water and have 20 dives under our belt (cozumel-drift/night, etc., couple dives in st. lucia and puerto rico). we live in sugar land, tx and will be going to Stetson in about three weeks in a small group-max of five divers plus an instructor and a divemaster. what wonderful creatures might we encounter there? also, any tips and advice for this site would be appreciated. thanks guys!

Just got back from my first visit to the FG and Stetson.....Stetson was my favorite of the multiple dive sites. I learned that being in the Gulf of Mexico and 110 miles off shore,,,,that the sea conditions can change VERY quickly....from 2-3ft. seas to 5-6ft. seas in a matter of hours with lovely blue skies!! Take along your motion sickness meds. for sure. The diving on Stetson was great,,,,vis 90ft. with water temps from 84f to 77f. Last week the currents were mild below the surface but again they can vary (your DM will brief you on those cond. you will find,,,so listen to all the briefing and heed their advise). It is an advanced level dive profile. Entering and exiting your boat is a place to ask and listens to the directions given. My deepest dive on Stetson was 90',,,,and is a great place to dive Nitrox if you are certf.. I saw TONS of fish of hundreds of species,,,,both in small groups to large schools. I encountered sting rays//eels//lobsters//sea worms//brittle stars and wonderful sponges. The site is the top of a large salt dome. I did not see them,,,but both shark and mantas were observed during my visit. A few small jellies were also in the waters. Hope this helps....be safe first and have fun....report back. By the way---whom are you chartered with for your trip???

thanks for your reply and the information! i'm looking forward to it......going on july 17, weather permitting of course. trip is through ProScuba on Westheimer in houston, don't know the name of the charter. thanks again! will report back.
texdiveguy:
Just got back from my first visit to the FG and Stetson.....Stetson was my favorite of the multiple dive sites. I learned that being in the Gulf of Mexico and 110 miles off shore,,,,that the sea conditions can change VERY quickly....from 2-3ft. seas to 5-6ft. seas in a matter of hours with lovely blue skies!! Take along your motion sickness meds. for sure. The diving on Stetson was great,,,,vis 90ft. with water temps from 84f to 77f. Last week the currents were mild below the surface but again they can vary (your DM will brief you on those cond. you will find,,,so listen to all the briefing and heed their advise). It is an advanced level dive profile. Entering and exiting your boat is a place to ask and listens to the directions given. My deepest dive on Stetson was 90',,,,and is a great place to dive Nitrox if you are certf.. I saw TONS of fish of hundreds of species,,,,both in small groups to large schools. I encountered sting rays//eels//lobsters//sea worms//brittle stars and wonderful sponges. The site is the top of a large salt dome. I did not see them,,,but both shark and mantas were observed during my visit. A few small jellies were also in the waters. Hope this helps....be safe first and have fun....report back. By the way---whom are you chartered with for your trip???

Take along a small flashlight. Use it to look in and under every single nook and cranny. This is how you find morays, banded shrimp, etc. Look at the coral and sponges closely. This is not the place to rush around and try to see the entire reef. Many of the reef denizens are masters of camoflage. Take you time and you will see more.

Getting lost on Stetson can be deceptively easy. Listen to your dive briefing. If you are told to keep the mooring line in sight, you will still see plenty of reef.

Watch your depth going over the wall. Txdiveguy's max depth was 90', it gets MUCH deeper.

Watch the wall, this is where you may see sharks running the wall, along with King Mackeral, and other pelagics. Whale Sharks have been sighted at Stetson.

Good luck, have fun.

TwoBit

thanks for the tips TwoBit! i appreciate it. would my small backup light that i carry for night diving be good?
TwoBitTxn:
Take along a small flashlight. Use it to look in and under every single nook and cranny. This is how you find morays, banded shrimp, etc. Look at the coral and sponges closely. This is not the place to rush around and try to see the entire reef. Many of the reef denizens are masters of camoflage. Take you time and you will see more.

Getting lost on Stetson can be deceptively easy. Listen to your dive briefing. If you are told to keep the mooring line in sight, you will still see plenty of reef.

Watch your depth going over the wall. Txdiveguy's max depth was 90', it gets MUCH deeper.

Watch the wall, this is where you may see sharks running the wall, along with King Mackeral, and other pelagics. Whale Sharks have been sighted at Stetson.

Good luck, have fun.

TwoBit

Back
Top Bottom