inflator regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I use a BCD with an inflator regulator as my alt air source, but it seems to me that its not overly common. my question is why ? i used a "octupus" style in my classes and usually found them dragging behind me..and coulnt wait to put my BCD back on.. is the I/R less reliable? just curious... i know there must be a reason why its not a big trend setter...

they have a tendency to breath wet, free flow, and are hard to control during buddy breathing.

Hallmac

For Recreational diving they are great.

I have three Scuba Pro Air2's
They have
Never leaked
Never breathed wet
Never free flowed

And are great for breathing off at recreational depths.

Throw a 5ft hose on your primary Reg and donate that to the OOA Diver, throw the Air2 in your mouth and you are set to accend.

The best part is it eliminates a hose from your rig, one less failure point and one less entanglement problem.

I use a Uwatec Air X Nitrox AI computer so I only have 2 hoses from my First stage
1 for my primary Reg and one for my Air2

I dive with a SeaQuest AirSource for my alternate regulator, and I have heard these main objections to their use.

1) The biggest complaint, and the most serious in my opinion, is the difficulty in controlling bouyancy during a stressful situation while the inflator/regulator is stuck in your mouth. I believe this can be overcome, but it does necessitate training in an additional skill that will only be required during an emergency. With a standard octopus, regulator use and bouyancy control are identical no matter which regulator you are using.

2) Some people belive that your primary and alternate regulators should be of nearly equal quality, since a stressful emergency situation is no time to stick someone with a low quality regulator. I personally am not overly concerned about this because I rarely, if ever, dive in situations where a direct ascent to the surface is not an acceptable option. Great depths, overhead environments, icing concerns, and strong currents are examples of situations where this could become a major concern.

3) Some people don't see the octopus/inflator as a regulator and therefore don't keep it cleaned and properly serviced.

4) Some people do not want to donate their primary regulator to the OOA diver (I don't know why though. The first warning you are likely to get that a diver is OOA is when they yank the primary regulator out of your mouth.)

thanks for the info and ideas.. im looking to get my wife a setup and want to find out why alot of people dont go with the i/r setup.
as far as malfunctioning i guess. i have had it in for reg service lastt year before i went... i dunno with as often as you use it... i prolly wont worry about it,, appreciate you guys helping a guy with lil knowledge more then the basics of the sport

I have the Seaquest Air Source also and I find that it does breath a little wet. The reality....at least for me....is that I only use it in skills practice and in real situations so for the vast majority of my rec diving it isnt an issue.

The main reason I went with the Air Source is I always dive a pony bottle. Not to have gone with the Air Source would have caused an additional reg to be hung somewhere.

As far as ascent during a stressful situation, I practice ascending using the air dump valve on my right shoulder of the bc.

I did read a thread on here that indicated pulling on the Air Source to dump air (which the company says it is designed for just that) versus holding it up and using the button can cause the rubber to tear after a while. I have had mine for a year now and have not noticed any wear.....but I do keep my eye on it.

One thing I would stay away from when you get your wife's gear. And, that is the integrated weight system that you have to "thread" the retaining rope everytime you pull weights. I have been on boats where ladies had that system and learned new curse words!!! It just takes way too long to re-thread the weight pouch. If you keep your velcro clean and sand/dirt free it will last a very long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom