Inflator/Octo Combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DonziMan

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

I am considering purchasing an Inflator/Octo combo deal. Why? I don't like hose clutter and I guess it's important to have an alternate air source, right?

My LDS guys have recomended the "seaquest air source", "Tusa Duo Air", and "Oceanic Air XS". Three shops carried different stuff and recomended what they had. One shop recomended against the combo octo for various reason. They suggested the spare air system.

What do you all suggest? I'd like feedback on your experiences with inflator/octos. I would rather buddy breath that use the traditional octo so I'll leave that option out of this discussion for now. :)

Thanks a Million!

I have been using a Zeagle Octo+ for 18 months now, it is actually made by Apex.
approx 200 dives on it so far with no problems

Cheers
Chris

Most people will not approve of this for various reasons. Do a search and you will find that it can turn a bad out of air situation into something alot worse as most people function alot differently in emergency situations when they are deprived of precious air...

Dove with an Scubapro Air2 and no octopus for 8 years and never had a problem. But I got to thinking that it would be safer to have an octopus because I think the Air2 limits your mobility - I can't really turn my head to the right when I'm breathing off of it. So now I still have the air2 but also an octopus

I had the Zeagle version as well, and loved it.

I had no trouble turning my head with it. I wouldn't want to do a long dive with it, but it was fine for the rare occasion where I might need it. Also, when my LDS installed it, they put a slightly longer than normal hose on the primary so as to make it easier to donate (sorry, don't remember the length).

IMHO, if you need to donate air to a person who's run out, chances are that they are not going to calmly swim up and politely request your secondary. They are going to swim up and grab the primary out of your mouth. So I don't see a problem with the combo secondary and inflator. Once someone grabs your primary, you take the combo.

I did, however, make sure and brief any new buddies on my setup, so that in an emergency they wouuldn't swim up looking for a conventional octo, but rather knew to take my primary, but, as I said, I don't think that would be a problem. You do need to practice using it, though, as it's a little different adjusting your bouyancy while breathing off of the combo device.

FWIW, I only got rid of mine because I couldn't get it serviced locally, and I couldn't afford to replace it (it was cheaper to get a conventional octo and inflator). I do plan on going back to a combo.

I don't have a lot of dives on mine since I just got it, but I went with the Atomic Aquatics SS1, which is supposed to be as good as a primary and certainly feels that way. My decision was based on research, both here and with more experienced divers. There's definitely a divided field, as typically found on many other subjects. However, in the end, as a rec diver, i felt that I would be better served with less clutter and that in most of my dives, the surface is straight up and not too far. I have had no issues in terms of BC control or head movement.

I would advise you to splurge on the SS1 if you can. I don't have experience with the others, but it appears the SS1 is built much better.

I would suggest doing some more research before you buy. I think you'll find that most people lean towards a standard octopus rig. The reasons and opinions are endless. Personally, I won't use one.

good luck dive safe....

DonziMan:
Hi guys and gals,

I am considering purchasing an Inflator/Octo combo deal. Why? I don't like hose clutter and I guess it's important to have an alternate air source, right?

My LDS guys have recomended the "seaquest air source", "Tusa Duo Air", and "Oceanic Air XS". Three shops carried different stuff and recomended what they had. One shop recomended against the combo octo for various reason. They suggested the spare air system.

What do you all suggest? I'd like feedback on your experiences with inflator/octos. I would rather buddy breath that use the traditional octo so I'll leave that option out of this discussion for now. :)

Thanks a Million!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm trying to get up to speed by searching previous posts. It takes a lot of time and isn't always pleasant to read some of the highly emotional responses.

It seems that there is a lot of anti Octo/Inflator sentiment out there. Perhaps I should ditch my power inflator all together in favor of a dedicated octo?

I'm trying to keep things at a four hose maximum here. Primary Reg, dry suit inflation, pressure guage, inflator, octopus. That's five... Do you need that many? You only NEED the first three on the list...

It could be argued that the Octo and inflator are optional if you consider buddy breathing to be a viable option. I just thought it made sense to combine the two.

I agree that a long hose and octo necklace would be best if you're diving enclosures, no question about it. But, would'nt the long hose impair sharing air in open water situations? It makes sense to me that two divers should be hanging onto each other when sharing air so they can handle their buoyancy as a single unit instead of two individual divers (one of which may be highly stressed or impaired). That's standard training for sharing one regulator but also makes sense when sharing with an octo, right? In addition, dosn't the long hose pose entaglement issues? Should a diver have a long hose primary for enclosures and a standard length primary hose for open water diving? Maybe you don't want a panicked diver dragging you up to the surface so you give him a long hose to keep him away from you in hopes you can win a tug of war if he trys to pull you to the surface?

My thinking is that if you become adept at handling buoyancy while breathing on the octo/inflator combo (a simple training issue), and the equipment is dependable, the octo/inflator resembles the long hose and necklace set up. You hand away your primary regulator and breath off the secondary which is right at hand as the necklace regulator would be.

Maybe I need to ask these questions on the DIR page... I'm new to this board so bare with me please :)

DonziMan:
But, would'nt the long hose impair sharing air in open water situations? It makes sense to me that two divers should be hanging onto each other when sharing air so they can handle their buoyancy as a single unit instead of two individual divers (one of which may be highly stressed or impaired). That's standard training for sharing one regulator but also makes sense when sharing with an octo, right? In addition, dosn't the long hose pose entaglement issues? Should a diver have a long hose primary for enclosures and a standard length primary hose for open water diving? Maybe you don't want a panicked diver dragging you up to the surface so you give him a long hose to keep him away from you in hopes you can win a tug of war if he trys to pull you to the surface?
There is a thread on the board right now about recreational divers using the long hose. That would make good reading for you.

No.. the long hose is not an entanglement hazard... it is a very streamlined configuration. And no, two divers trying to control buoyancy as one unit is not easier than two divers each controlling their own buoyancy... the key is to:
1) Dive with folks who are able to control their buoyancy in the first place.
2) Dive with folks who are not prone to panic.

Here is a photo of a diver configured with the long hose. There are five hoses coming off of the first stage. How many do you see? Do any of them appear to be a snag hazzard? The necklace reg hose is too long otherwise it's loop would be smaller but still it isn't sticking out to the side as a snag handle.

front_shot_for_SB.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom