Inflator hose modification for coldwater...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering if anybody had ever done DIY modifications to help manipulate the low pressure inflator hoses in cold water. It can get tricky to plug/unplug them with gloves so I figure something to give better grip on the sleeve would be great, kinda like this...

EX954_3-480.jpg

or maybe adding a big collar that is easier to grip with gloves.

The thing is that, whatever is added has to be very tightly attached to the sleeve to make sure it'll activate it when moved, and I'm not how to achieve that. Anybody has an idea?

This looks like it would do the trick and doesn't cost 50$ ; ) Now I just need to find somebody who sells that.

...um, why not just order that part via the WWW from the deepseasupply web site ? ....I've done exactly that and installed those 'hose hats' on half a dozen reg sets....very easy/effective.

This looks like it would do the trick and doesn't cost 50$ ; ) Now I just need to find somebody who sells that.
:confused: Deep Sea Supply sells the hose hat in question. If you don't want to purchase it from DSS, then you can try Techdivinglimited.com or Northeastscubasupply.com.

If you were under the impression that you have to spend more than $50 on a drysuit inflater hose, then you are grossly misinformed. I can recommend the XS Scuba one sold by Scubatoys (and many other online retailers). You can get the 32 inch version for $31.

...um, why not just order that part via the WWW from the deepseasupply web site ? ....I've done exactly that and installed those 'hose hats' on half a dozen reg sets....very easy/effective.

Mostly because getting a 5$ item through canadian customs will end up costing me 25$ of additional charges. But I might order a bunch (I do have buddies with the same problem) to make charges less ridiculous.

Mostly because getting a 5$ item through canadian customs will end up costing me 25$ of additional charges. But I might order a bunch (I do have buddies with the same problem) to make charges less ridiculous.

...whenever I seen a handy, low price per unit accessory like that, I'll go ahead and stock up on 'em......to amortize the freight charges (and in your case custom's charges too.) ...back in the day, I ordered like 20 of 'em, have used about 10 of 'em...and I see 7 left in my box of spares. :)

DSS makes a good one, so there must be a demand for them.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=45

I noticed the DSS web site says this fits most hoses. Unfortunately, it didn't even come close to fitting over a SP valve.

For those getting them mail order, anyone else want to contribute to the list of hoses that it won't work on?

A few things I've found:
First off, don't go near UPS for this. They have a "brokerage fee" that they slap on anything they move. FedEx wasn't doing it, but may have started to. No idea as to DHL's routine.

Secondly, get the item sent by US mail (USPS). If it's tagged as priority mail, I think it switches to a delivery company once it crosses the border, but no extra fees (I believe). Typically the sender has to fill out a declaration form and list contents and value. I just normally have a value of $5-10 put on it. No receipt in the box helps too...

Thirdly, if all else fails, ship to someone in the US who will drop in the regular mail for you and put "gift-stuffed animals", "free product sample" or the like on it.

Some retailers don't show USPS shipping, so a quick phone call might sort it out for you too. There are a few ways if you are a company on the receiving end as well I think....

For example, I just shipped up a bunch of handheld radios by USPS and no issues whatosever. It even arrived at my company's office instead of my PO box which I normally use.

It's not that I have a problem paying appropriate duty on items, just a "fee" charged by the shipping company (UPS mostly) for no reason, and making money by calling it something related to the government regs. Bring a car in, hazardous materials, livestock etc., no problem with a broker's fee, at least the first time. After I see the paperwork trail, I'll do it myself.

Of course you could get it drop-shipped to the closest town across the border from you, drive over and then back. Declare it at the border (hold up the bag of small stuff), and get waived through. Thanks to NAFTA/others, most things are duty-free/excise tax exempt anyways.

See if that helps,
Sir Veyor

Tobin did send me my stuff with USPS so you should not have any issues. USPS priority is the best way to do it it`s delivered by CanPost on our side. And no stupid brokerage is charged.

BTW. Stay away from the hose you have posted in the first picture. They are plastic and break very easy. I had mine broken after 20 dives when it snag on something on a boat.

You can get the one with metal valve and put one of that hats.

But at the end do not rely on it much though. If you have the inflator frozen chances are high you will not be able to disconnect it anyways. At least I was never been able to.

In my setup I have my drysuit connected to the inflation bottle which I can easily just close in case of inflator freezing up. And if you operate the inflator under normal conditions you do not really need that hat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom