Inflator hose length?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZzzKing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am switching out the family corrugated hoses to 13". What inflator hose is the best length for single tank rigs?

I'm running 24" LP inflator hoses with 16" corrugated hoses, so as you're using 13" corrugated hoses = 21" LP inflator hose recommendation.

I was using a 15" inflater hose.

Just long enough to reach your mouth comfortably. I don't understand why so many hoses reach almost to your waist.

I have been using 22 inch which seems about right for my single tank rigs using both barrel and turret type first stages. However, WARNING, I wear my tank correctly with the valve centered inbetween my shoulders, neither hanging to my knees nor worse, those weird cultish high tanker extremists, with the tank up over the head as is popluar today. :wink: The tank position would have some impact on the length of hoses needed for the spg (24/26 for me) and BC.

N

N, are you using a 12"/13" corrugated hose or one of those non-minimal corrugated hoses hanging down to your belly button like Pasley described?

i may have to head over to the storage building with a tape measure to verify. I was hoping one of those dee aye arr guys would have a hard, fast rule for me as I was driving right by Scubatoys this afternoon and wanted to stop in. Delayed response probably saved me several hundred dollars there.

N, are you using a 12"/13" corrugated hose or one of those non-minimal corrugated hoses hanging down to your belly button like Pasley described?

i may have to head over to the storage building with a tape measure to verify. I was hoping one of those dee aye arr guys would have a hard, fast rule for me as I was driving right by Scubatoys this afternoon and wanted to stop in. Delayed response probably saved me several hundred dollars there.

My corrugated hose barely reaches over my shoulder, enough to get it to the D ring where the bungee is to loop over the inflator. Even then it is short enough to pop out of the bungee. I think it is the standard length 16 inch.

But as I said, warning, warning, I am not a High Tanker.

Put your outfit on or rig it out and simply measure to the end points and then order a hose of that length. I know that on some doubles rigs I have seen 18 inch BC hoses and I think that is what I have on my isolation manifolded doubles rig. But the singles rigs have to reach over a little further thus the longer hose.

James

Yeah, I guess I'll have to go to the storage building. My little girl is going through her OW in a couple of weeks so I need to monkey around with her travel plate and wing anyway. I appreciate you chiming in. I always enjoy your posts preaching the minimal gospel. (...you grumpy old bastard... :))

I too swapped out all my corrugated hoses to the shorter 12-13", on my Apeks FSR I use an 18" BC hose but due to first stage routing use a 22" with SP Mk25. I use Oxy wings. The position of elbow on wing also makes a difference, for example the SP wing elbow is lower on the back but on Oxy it's higher nearer the top of the wing. Of course best way is to physically check. What wing are you using?

I am thinking you guys are wanting and needing the 18 inch BC hose. I may shorten mine now that you guys are talking about it, it does have a little bit of loop:

IMG_2454.jpg

I always enjoy your posts preaching the minimal gospel. (...you grumpy old bastard... :))

Old? Grumpy etc.? Hmmmm. In any case, if you are speaking of me somebody has to be an actual minimalist since the one's claiming that they are, are hardly so. :wink: The old and grumpy part, not so sure of that. :(

N

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom