Inflator hose length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vioch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On my doubles with 13" corrugated wing hose, I use 18" wing inflator hose - very slick routing. But recently was advised, that wing inflator hose should be longer, i.e. long enough to be attached to a drysuit...

Does that make sence?

i guess i can see it being useful if your drysuit hose stops working for whatever reason and you wanted to swap them, and just aborting the dive and ascending wasn't the immediate option?

It doesn't make much sense if you're diving with any sort of He mix. You don't want that stuff in your suit in any case. The only application I can see is in a cave with a sawtoothy exit.

Tom

Okay, lets view this aspect from the other angle: why does the standard DIR inflator hose have 22" length? The most corrugated hoses are 12"-16" and 18" LP hose length is fine for them. What should we have extra 4" for?

Last edited:
The 22" LP inflator length recommendation is a starting point. Depending on corrugated hose length, 1st stage type/position, doubles or singles, you adjust accordingly.

Okay, lets view this aspect from the other angle: why does the standard DIR inflator hose have 22" length? The most corrugated hoses are 12"-16" and 18" LP hose length is fine for them. What should we have extra 4" for?

Single or doubles?

On a single 22" will likely be a bit too long (but manageable)
On doubles it has to reach across from the right post, behind your neck and needs to be a bit longer to reach.

Doubles.

Here is 13" corrugated hose and 18" LP

pict6530.jpg

Here is 16" corrugated hose and 18" LP

t_1_479.jpg

Put the LP hose behind the wing. Add a bungie loop up higher on the corrugated hose about 5cm down from the elbow to keep it back there. If the hose comes in front of the wing it can lead to some annoying gas trapping.

I admit I don't use diaphram regs and have been using the stock H hose that came with my explorer 55 with my mk20 1sts without issue but what is your problem again?

In Britain the attachments for wing inflator hoses and drysuit inflator hoses are almost invariably not the same. They're not interchangeable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom