Inexperienced or just stupid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These numbers are weird. Are you diving with Bar or psi on your gauge? Do stick to the one you are comfortable with and definitely don't try to do maths underwater! 200 Bar is about 3000 psi - NOT 2000 psi. 100 Bar is about 1500 psi - NOT 1000. etc...

A noteworthy fact: most psi gauges go into the red reserve zone at 500 psi (about 33 Bar), whilst Bar gauges go into the red reserve zone at 50 Bar (about 750 psi). Thus: be very aware that when you're diving with a psi gauge for the first time you do not have the same reserve that you're accustomed to!

Either way I'd suggest: if you're using a depth gauge that seems r e m o t e l y unreliable - abort. Diving with messy gear creates paranoia.

Thanks for that...now I'm in an even worse state!!!!!

Don't feel bad, please! We've all been there at some point. I'd possibly have gone on that second dive too (shame)!
Again - just make sure the gear you dive with is reliable. When it's not - and you know it - you are seriously reducing your diving fun and risking much more than you'll get out of it. If in doubt - abort. Then you'll be fine and will not have to worry about all we've discussed. Then it's just simply: when your gauge gets into the red zone the dive is over.

Sounds like a dive where you are thinking about it a lot afterwards, which is definitely a good thing. One more thing to consider is the spiralling effect of problems. Read any indicent/accident and there are usually a few things that lead to disaster. Remembering that, imagine the problems this could have caused if you needed to do an air share where another diver was using your octo. I would want to know how much we BOTH had left. I wouldn't want the other person (probably stressed to begin with) adding to their stress by looking at your gauge and seeing the reading from an inaccurate gauge. Remember that both your gear and your air are the redundant system for your buddy. Anyway, glad you posted and are conscious that examining the dive is an important part of becoming a better diver.

Good talking points, and your around to ask them which is even better.

A couple of points to add about the second dive:
1) You were unfilmilure with the rent equipment, at the very least not knowing it's history. That you start the second wasn't a critical mistake... that you didn't abort was... everyone seems to have commented as such. And you've acknowledge it...
2) Timing you BT was risky as you were under greater stress and using air faster...
3) If your buddy really was as experienced you thought, he should not have asked you if wanted to abort. He should have aborted the dive himself since both of you were at risk.

Another item... my instructor had a great line about people comparing sac rates and being "jealous" as you noted... "You should another buddy right after surfacing and getting another tank."

If you can afford it purchasing your own equipment is a great way to piece of mind.

I think that it was very surprising that someone who has only a few dives decides to knowingly break the rules (no spg) and do the dive. I think that if you are picking and choosing the rules that apply to you at this early stage, that you will probably be inclined to push the limits in other situations also.

I have dove with a failed spg myself, but I checked the tank with another guage and then did a conservative time that I KNEW I could do based on a lot of experience. You however, made some good approximations and made a dive that you THOUGHT you could do.

It is a good time to be introspective and there will be many other times were you will be confronted with the dilema to abort or cancel a dive. I think you should strive to "follow the rules" for a good 100 or 200 dives or as long as it takes to really get scared on a dive (some time when you feel somewhat out of control and feel that there is some significant danger). I.e., get the CRAP scared out of you.

THEN, after you surviive that situation will it be time for you to start thinking about cutting corners.

Also. you mentioned no redundancy (e.g. pony bottle) so what you deliberately did was compromise your ability to help your buddy also.

I don't think what you did was a big deal, but at this stage you don't know what you don't know.

eeerrmmm??

I think the clue is in the headine?.."inexperienced or just stupid?"

I wasn't "knowingly" breaking the rules or "pushing the limits" and I certainly won't be pushing the limits in future and neither am I picking and choosing my own rules. Hence the thread and asking for advice

As I am now aware from the other ,actually helpful posts, I may well have compromised my buddy,but I didn't keep it a secret as you seem to be implying. My buddy knew as soon as I did that there was a problem with the spg and he wanted to continue the dive as well, so I would suggest he compromised himself.
This is why I am asking for advice, as my buddy was a lot more experienced than me and I went with his call

After reading the other posts, I will make the call myself in future

Agreed...It has to be a typo.

3000 Psi= roughly 200 bar.

We've been taught that your usual 100 bar signal comes at 1500 Psi and your low on air signal for 50 bar should be done at 750 Psi.

Cheers!

IMO given your level of experience as a fairly new diver, you handled the problem you had on your first dive perfectly. First you seemed to have picked the right kind of buddy, from your story it seems as though you were honest about your skill level and your buddy was happy to team up with you without the expectation of your having to try to push your luck to try to impress or keep up with him.

Your second good decision was recognizing the problem and being able to remain (relatively) calm. There are plenty of new divers who would suddenly see what they believe to be an OOA situation and simply bolt for the surface, instead you found your more experienced buddy, made a controlled ascent and surfaced safely. As someone mentioned earlier, its incredible how a relatively minor mishap like this can quickly snowball into a panicked and disoriented diver who now is facing more serious problems.
Your glaring mistake which I now think you see is obvious was A: your decision to carry on with your second dive with a known defective piece of equipment. And you only compounded this mistake by electing not to end the dive when you had the chance.

If I could equate this to an aviation safety story, your actions were fairly equivalent to those of a new pilot (JFK JR. comes to mind as a fairly good example) who was suffering from the dreaded get-their-itis. You were concerned that your buddy (passenger) would be unhappy with terminating the dive early. and since this was going to be one of your rare chances to dive, you were willing to push an obviously bad situation to the point of near stupidity, just because you wanted to be able to squeeze in an extra dive this season.
The most important lesson of this experience is that you were confident enough to no only admit that you may have made an error but even put it out publicly in order to gain some possible opinions or help, which is really one of the most important qualities in forming a truly confident diver.
Did you do something stupid, yes you absolutely did, you may have actually done quite a few things that were rather stupid. But more importantly, Are these the types of mistakes that are made by nearly all new divers? yes they are, and now you have analyzed the mistakes you made, it will only help you to become a much more talented diver in the future.

There are enough unforeseen problems that affect divers underwater every dive, that to knowingly get wet with a faulty SPG was a mistake. What if you had drawn some really crummy old school first stage setup where the HP inlets are the same size as the LP ones. That could of very well explained your frozen SPG and also could of met that the HP inlet was incorrectly connected to a low pressure hose which could easily result in a catastrophic failure to your entire rig while underwateter. To think that you would have ruined your buddies dive by terminating the dive early was also a mistake, believe me you wouldn't have.

Back
Top Bottom