Inexpensive Warm Water Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryTX

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I did a search, didn't see that this question has been posed before. Back in the 1970s, when I first got certified in Southern California, my dive instructor had us buy leather work gloves at the hardware store for protection of the hand during dives. Fast forward to 2009, when I am coming back to Scuba in warm water Texas, when the LDS reps tell me no one does such a silly thing anymore - high quality neoprene gloves are the only way to go.

My question is, if temperature protection is not an issue, why not go cheap? It worked fine in the 'old days', and I survived my checkout dives in the Pacific with 66 deg F water. What about these inexpensive work / garden gloves that have nylon mesh on the back of the hand and a palm coated with a layer of latex? They run about $5 a pair. Anyone taking an approach like this?

Both my husband and I use gardening gloves and they work great! They are exactly the ones you describe....fabric with a rubberized front. They also stand up to salt water really well and if we lose one, who cares?

I've done the same as DM said. Cheap fabric gardening gloves that have a rubberized coating on the palm and fingers. They worked very well, and as she said, if you lose one so what.

Heck, almost anything works. My wife has used regular canvas gardening gloves, and I've used the knit/dot face work gloves. I prefer something thin for dexterity if wear any.

I've seen divers spend big bucks on fancy neoprene dive gloves only to have the seams give out or the zippers break way before a pair of cheapies wear out.

I like the nylon with leather finger tips and palm mechanics gloves. They fit snug instead of floppy like gardening gloves, have some protection where you need it and are comfortable. $15ish in Walmart.

herman wins the prize for a warm water glove the (machanic glove ) you get at walmart around 9 to 15 is great and has the best dexterity. water dont leather the cotton gloves sweal up and zero on thermal and they have a choice of color lol good diving all

Home Depot and Lowes sell a thin but tough neoprene-like glove. Costs under $10 and mine have lasted two seasons of NC wreck diving. Cheap, lite, and flexible.

Do a search on here for darkfin gloves. I usually wear cheapo gloves to but have switched over. They are more expensive than truly cheapo but compared to 15 dollar gloves I would rather have the darkfin ones. My buddy spent 45 for so for kevlar gloves, and they may yet prove usefull as kevlar. The darkfin gloves also give you added ability in regards to swimming, treading water, and controlling your position underwater. the post will cover both sides of them and I was a fortunate diver who received a free pair to try out and my post can be seen there as well. I have no connection to them other than an honest review of their product, which I have already done. I post this as one glove wearer helping out another glove wearer.

What are you grabbing underwater that you require Kevlar gloves for? Lobster hunting is one thing, but for general, zero-impact (and that means keeping your lunchhooks totally off stuff down there), green or purple nitrile exam gloves protect your hands from any errant stuff in the water. Plus the color helps you keep the pulled-off gloves from sliding out the scuppers of your boat and into a turtle's stomach.

Take a look at O'Neil...I bought a pair of water skying gloves that are durable and made for water so they won't rot. Cost me $20. Works great and surprisingly suited for the purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom