Inexpensive Surface Marker/Safety Sausage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose its better than nothing, although I do think it is a bit on the small side (they say it is 3' 9" long, so it is probably only 2" or so in dia - guessing from the pictures).

I carry the Dan Signal Surface Kit . It is 6' L X 7 1/2" W and comes with a whistle, signalling mirror, and cyalume stick, and can be filled orally, with reg, or by LPI. It also has a dump/pressure relief valve. Not nearly as cheap (or inexpensive) as the eBay version, but IMHO much better and its purchase helps support DAN.

Daz

two observations.

1.) it's only about 3.5' tall. I would want my primary SMB to be about 6' tall and nice and wide so it could be seen in rolling seas...

2.) from the ebay page: Oral Inflation only!

My opinion is that I would want one that I could inflate with octo through diaphram valve.

Now this might be a good second one to stash in a BC pocket as a backup for a larger one...

I note that this is 3'9" tall. I think that's a negative. Price with shipping is $22.20.
I have this: XS Scuba AC190 Safety Tube
6' tall, and the mesh bag also holds some other related goodies, like a whistle, signal mirror, glo-toob.

My lds sells it regularly for $30, but it's a frequent loss-leader at their quarterly tent sale for $20. Interestingly, neither LP or ST lists this one, but I see it online elsewhere for $22.

I'd recommend the longer length, even if it's not this particular one.

I carry a vinyl one that is 6"x6' (approx); (it folds to 1/2"x6"x3'). $6.95 Trident IIRC.
I also carry one of the good ones for anything other than a small lake. The cheap one is a backup only. I figured if I need one, cheap is not the best way to go.. IMHO. but they are available.

Bigger is better ONLY IF YOU CARRY IT WITH YOU.

Several times when I've deployed my 4x44" Sea Me tube as a DSMB, other divers have told me after surfacing that their signal sausages are much larger. In most cases, they were in their gearbag on the boat, not with them in the water.

Both the Sea Me and the a 6" x 7-1/2' "orange garbage bag liner" sort of plastic tube permanently reside in my BCD pocket (nothing more than a bunch of plastic film, it rolls up to a cigar sized tube, which I encase in a bicycle innertube to prevent tears.

On a few dives, I add a larger more traditional sausage. But on the majority of dives I'm not willing to carry the extra volume of gear, so it's a good idea to have some smaller ones that you are willing to CARRY ON EVERY DIVE.

Hi, Tim Little here. I own TDL Underwater Liftbag Supply, and my wife Debra and I offer cheap prices on liftbags and sausages. We also have a few used bags for sale. Check us out at "awesomepricedliftbags.com". Thank You!

Don't buy one of those vinyl SMBs. Trident markets one - the seams are poorly welded, and when you need the sausage and it just kinda falls apart on you while you're drifting there wondering if the boat is coming back for you, console yourself with the thought of the $20 you saved buying it.
Or.......
Buy a nice, well-made tall one. Buy stuff once and it's way cheaper than buying the wrong thing once or twice and having to upgrade.

Do not waste your money on a cheap SMB, this is a safety piece of kit so once you decide you need one, and that depends on where you dive, get the best on the market.

Long, wide, self sealing with dump valve and good materials and finish so that it does not tear off with use.

No point getting some safety equipment that does not do the job and does not get you seen because it is too small.

If you really want a cheap way to be visible but only when you are already at the surface buy a foldable dive flag, cheap and gets you seen even more than an SMB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom