Inexpensive Digital Gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all, I'm looking for a cheaper digital gauge to swap out my analog gauge on my whip... I don't really need it to be absolutely perfect, just somewhat consistent. My last digital gauge was $130, I don't want to spend that again.

I found these, but the thread size looks to be 3/8" when I'd really like it to be an even swap, 1/4" for 1/4"...

Any suggestions?
I have used those before, mainly for hydraulic testing, they are quite nice,
they have them in 1/4 npt,

I just order a few more,

C$ 78.21 | Battery Powered 304SS Metal Case NPT1/4 Digital Pressure Gauge

@Rol diy that price is hard to beat. If it’s a 4000psi version, +/- 0.5% FS means it’s potentially 20 psi off right? May be plenty good enough, I’m not judging. If it’s just for PP fills, I guess a person could get a 1000psi version that would have +/- 5psi accuracy.

For my PP whip, went the analog steam punk route with a 6" NOS O2 cleaned Perma-Cal made in USA at +/-0.25 FS found on the auction site for about $30. I never add 02 more than my max 800psi gauge so am getting +/- 2psi. Probably more accurate than I need, but it’s fun to use and I love the way they look.
D9430C49-F374-4A52-B194-1B48F88EFFC5.jpeg

@Rol diy that price is hard to beat. If it’s a 4000psi version, +/- 0.5% FS means it’s potentially 20 psi off right? May be plenty good enough, I’m not judging. If it’s just for PP fills, I guess a person could get a 1000psi version that would have +/- 5psi accuracy.

For my PP whip, went the analog steam punk route with a 6" NOS O2 cleaned Perma-Cal made in USA at +/-0.25 FS found on the auction site for about $30. I never add 02 more than my max 800psi gauge so am getting +/- 2psi. Probably more accurate than I need, but it’s fun to use and I love the way they look.
View attachment 695971
That's a good point about not needing more than so many psi for a lot of people just PP blending. I also use my whip to equalize tanks, so I would need at least ~ 4000 I guess.

That's a good point about not needing more than so many psi for a lot of people just PP blending. I also use my whip to equalize tanks, so I would need at least ~ 4000 I guess.
I believe they have 150% overpressure capacity.
In the stuff I test I need to see 300-500psi range, but move a function, and it can spike 4000-6000psi, that's the beauty of digital

Just for anyone following I bought the one that's been linked a few times. I got the 0-70mPa because I figured why not. Accuracy is .5%. I will write up a little comparison between this and my other digital gauge. I'll see how close they are.

The guys on FB over at gas blenders seem to like this and use it a good bit.

Thanks to everyone that helped, and Happy New Year!

The gauge arrived.. it looks really nice. It's larger than the other digital gauge, it also feels more hefty / well built... that's just 1st impression, doesn't mean anything until I actually use it. The gauge cover is also nicer. The blue one kind of hangs open where the battery goes, the yellow one you have to peel the face back to get to the rear, but it's also a lot more snug.

Because it's bigger, I'll probably swap them around so I can have a little smaller profile on my whip.. have to play around with that and see.

Blue one is model: MG1-5000-A-9V-R 5000psi, was $125 shipped and that was a good deal at the time. Most places were $150+. Takes a 9v battery. You can't tell from the picture, but the laminate is already coming off the front of it on the left where I hit the button, which is nuts because I've only pushed the button ~ 100 times so far? If that... It's disappointing paying a hefty price for something that feels gimmicky.

Yellow one is model: Battery Powered 304SS Metal Case NPT1/4 Digital Pressure Gauge bought from Aliexpress. Was $62 shipped, I went for the 0-70 mPa which is just a hair more than 10,000 psi. Takes 2 AAA batteries

20220120_164318.jpg
20220121_130504.jpg
20220121_130512.jpg

I have both of those gauges, plus several others. That blue one has been installed in my fill panel with a 9v adapter for 6 years. It has been flawless.

I have both of those gauges, plus several others. That blue one has been installed in my fill panel with a 9v adapter for 6 years. It has been flawless.

Well what about the yellow one? Any discrepancies?

Well what about the yellow one? Any discrepancies?
It doesn't get used as much. It reads differently than the blue one, but accuracy is mostly pointless in blending. I haven't had any issues with it. It seems to be precise enough for it's purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom