Inexpensive Camera suggestion???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the..."you get what you pay for". I tried an Intova 600 for a weekend (6 dives). I found that the housing blocks the light coming back to the lens. I tried a few adjustments and continued to have problems. I did take a few pictures at 15' with lots of natural light and they turned out ok. Another problem I encounter was battery life...it chews them up. I used NMH and alkies didnt matter, 1 dive per set. But I am sure there is someone out there that loves the 600.

O

Hello Underwater Dwellers!!
Any good advice for a very inexpensive underwater camera that takes really great shots? Will not be going more than 30 feet for some pictures......would it be better to get a video or still? or one that does both.........nothing fancy just something that will do the job......any suggestions would be greatly appreciated........
Thanks
Wishing all clear waters and bright skies.
AJ

I think if you look on eBay and/or Amazon you should be able to find a Canon A570IS and Canon housing for about $300. The Canon A720IS is a bit more expensive (just saw it at my local Sams Club a couple of days ago for $186) but you should be able to get one with a Canon housing for about $350. And I see that Dell now has the A720IS on sale for $169.99 plus tax and S&H are free.

Both take great pictures above and below water. The housings are rated to 130 feet so you can use it deeper if you are so inclined in the future. And both take some pretty darn good video clips for such small cameras.

Hello Underwater Dwellers!!
Any good advice for a very inexpensive underwater camera that takes really great shots? Will not be going more than 30 feet for some pictures......would it be better to get a video or still? or one that does both.........nothing fancy just something that will do the job......any suggestions would be greatly appreciated........
Thanks
Wishing all clear waters and bright skies.
AJ

Sixgears is giving you some good advise especially if you are just getting into uw photography. I have just one thing to add. I had an older Olympus C-740 sitting around and about 4 years ago found a PT-018 on e-bay for $30. I was amazed at the pics I was able to take with this camera. About a year ago I dropped the C-740 on a tile floor and could never get it to power up again. Back to e-bay I found a C-750 for $40 with an extra xD card. So for $70 I end up with a good uw still camera and uw video with sound. What I wanted to add is that since then I have bought a spare camera that fits my housing while these older camera are still on readily available on e-bay. I don't think Olympus still makes this model of camera.

Back
Top Bottom