Inexpensive but decent BC for female divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pratesi:
I know body structure can mean alot when it comes to comfort. If you have broad shoulders or are large in the bust area, I would think you would need something with less constriction.
That is precisely the point of a back-inflate BC or wing. Many women feel that when a wrap-around BC is inflated, the inflated panels push in against their chest and sides making it uncomfortable. Remember, that how a BC feels on land, even with a tank in it, is going to be significantly different from how that same BC feels in the water with your gear on. Comfort on land and comfort in the water are two different things. This is a bp/wings style bouyancy compensator that is both infinitely adjustable (one long strap) so will fit your body perfectly, and nothing on the sides and front to press in against you when it's inflated - hence zero constriction. For what its worth, offered for your consideration:
http://www.halcyon.net/mc/eclipse.shtml

Best,

Doc

I have a Zeagle Scout and really love it. It's light weight, back inflate and not restrictive around the chest or hips. I tried on some "women's" BC's, including the Zena, and didn't like how they felt. Keep in mind that with a Zeagle the dealer can custom fit any model. I got mine with front and back weight pockets and they changed the shoulder straps. You can get a great BC that will likely fit you better then any of the off the rack women's models currently on the market.

A "decent" BC for a woman? I didn't know they made "indecent" ones!

Dr. Bill
Too much time on his hands

eyasha:
I just bought my Sea Quest Libra this weekend after doing my instruction with it. It fits me perfect - I am tall (5'11") but with a small/regular sized torso. .

I have the Libra also & I absolutely love it!! Its so comfortable & fits my frame extremely well.

Alot times I dont use a BC if I am doing shollow diving, but when I do use one ,its a Mares Hub, Its not restrictive and I have all the rings I need for my equipment. I also like the lumbar support and the pockets it has. It not really made just for women but I like it just the same. :)

Deb

Pratesi:
OK-so what are your thoughts on back inflation on bc?
I would go with a wing BC and weight intergrated. I thought I would mention the weight intergrated BCs because no one mention it. If money comes down to it go without the weight intergration but I know a lot of divers do not look highly on IST, I have not had a problem with my BC at all. Do a google search to find IST BCs or go to this Site: www.joediveramerica.com

Like every diver here will tell you fit is important, so if you order it online you will not be able to try it on before you buy it.

I like this BC for a several reasons. The jacket squeeze thing was a pain. My lower back ached when all the weight I was carrying was on my belt; the integrated weight system is far easier. I like the way the back inflation bladder is contained by elastic lines that help to fold it down when you deflate. Sure, back inflation was weird after getting certified in a jacket, but you catch on quickly enough. I found that I had to keep my reg in my mouth at the surface while I was getting acquainted with it, but I am now much more at home.
Also, something folks have not mentioned: don't forget to compare the lift specs with your specific diving needs. I knew that I was going to end up with a lot of weight, given my location -- ie I would end up wearing 7mm wetsuit or a drysuit when diving locally here in the Finger Lakes and the Great Lakes (last weekend: temps at 80' hovered around 38 degrees F) So I need a lot of lift because sometimes I might have 32-35 lbs weight (freshwater) or even more in cold saltwater (eg British Columbia). Also, what if you are not exactly a brilliant swimmer, and there you are floating at the surface and a panicked diver who has not inflated their BC piles on top of you ? Nice to have lots of lift. And the ladyhawk has the most in the scubapro line, I think.
One thing I do not like about it -- only one teeny pocket and not enough rings to hang stuff on.
but a lot of these details come down to your specific needs.
so beg, borrow, rent different BCs before you take the plunge,
Sail 'n Dive

Back
Top Bottom