Inexpensive 1" double ball flex arms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilEyeDog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Why are the plastic flex arms with 1" balls on both ends so expensive? (here's one from LeisurePro: Big Blue Flex Arm)

Anyone know a cheaper alternative? My set up needs to 1" balls on both ends. You can buy the locline cheap, but the balls are $20 a piece (so for 3 arms that's $120 in ball pieces alone).

Thanks in advance for helping to save me $$$

What's the point of locline with a ball on both ends? Doesn't a straight arm with balls at both ends serve the same purpose? If it is connecting to a strobe, a YS mount is cheaper, and avoids the cost of a clamp. If it is connecting to an arm, a ball on the arm plus a clamp is not the cheapest way to attach locline. The whole idea is that locline gives flexibility, but so does a straight arm plus a clamp. You apparently are using clamps, so why bother with locline?

Good question/point. So my tray has ball ended mounts. Yes, on the clamps. I was hoping for the flexibility for two lights and a strobe. I'm finding, particularly with my straight arms they are too straight and I can't seem to get light where I want it to go. I thought I'd try a flexible arm, but to your point...expensive.

Good question/point. So my tray has ball ended mounts. Yes, on the clamps. I was hoping for the flexibility for two lights and a strobe. I'm finding, particularly with my straight arms they are too straight and I can't seem to get light where I want it to go. I thought I'd try a flexible arm, but to your point...expensive.
So you are only using a one-piece straight arm, not two pieces (on each side)? What kind of mounts do your strobes and light have?

Good point and maybe that's the solution. I could just buy more clamps and two more straight arms (still cheaper then the flex arm). Lights and strobes have ball mounts as well. Seems it's the most expensive kind of mount.

You might look at a single triple-clamp to hold your light.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom