Indonesia or Philippines in Jan/Feb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Indonesia or Philippines

Will be taking a 4-6 week break in mid Jan/Feb & not sure where I should go.
I will be looking for dive locations I have not been to. I am currently in Thailand & will be travelling out in the next 2 weeks.
Option 1
Indonesia
North Bali, Gorontalo, Bangka (& Maybe Togians depending on weather)
(Pros – Easy to get to & travel around. Lot of options in North Sulw . I have always enjoyed my trips in Indo.
Cons – Bad time of year i.e off/rainy season)

Option 2
Philippines
Malapasca, Anilao, Bohol, Donsol
(Pros – I think the weather will be better. Better beaches. Chance to see W. Sharks & Mayon volcano fireworks
Cons – Prob more difficult to get around/more travelling. I have had a couple of slightly disappointing trips in the past. Don’t really know my way around the Philippines compared to Indo)

Would appreciate any recommendations or tips regarding the dive seasons/conditions in Jan/Feb.

( As a reference I have previously dived Bali,Lombok,Lembeh,Bunaken,Papua,Alor,Ambon,Komodo,P.Weh in Indo & PG,Sogod,Dumaguete in Phil)

Last edited:
Well, you sure have been to alot of the better places already. Hard to top these places. Though i did love Dumaguete. How about Puerto Galeria Philippines (spelling ??_

As for the weather, it is not raining under water so for diving no issues and frankly this is a pretty mild monsoon season this year. As for Donsol, the whale sharks seem to show up after Mid-March so no reason to go there in Jan/feb and tough to get to anyway. Plus when the whale sharks arrrive in Donsol you can only snorkel...no diving allowed (or at least i know of none).

Would you consider Christmas Island (AUS) which you get to thru KL directly on a short hope. The best time is in January and will be a treat when the corals spawn and the red crabs show up then the Whale Sharks....a real feeding frenzie.

Good luck.

Pinay chicks are quite hot... :p

Try just hanging around the Visayas region, tons of great places there. Start a thread in the PI section about wanting to spend a bunch of time around Cebu, you will get some good answers...

You don't have a new job yet? bum! :D

I may be in Thailand in July. Do you have any recommendations?

Go with the no-rainy season option (i.e. Philippines). And hook-up with the guys on the Philippine Paradise Divers Sub-forum to take you around, so you'll get the cheaper local rate (i.g. accommodation, food, etc) rather than the tourist rate. Everybody speaks & understands English, so it's not that difficult to find your way around the country. . .

Go for The Philippines because of the weather. You won't be disappointed by the diving at either place, but this is a great time to be in the Phils. If you want to cut down on the travel time I would do something like this:
Anilao-PG and Bohol-Moabol You would only have to do one flight, and the rest of the travel is very easy. All of this diving is gonna be excellent!
As for Donsol - I think Bronson hit the nail on the head... You'd basically make a long trip for a snorkeling trip- if it is even going at this time...
Good luck on your planning. The PPD group on here is really friendly and quick to reply- so if you have more planning q's about the Phils, you'll have sound advice

Thanks for replies.
I am now in Bali.
Been diving Secret bay, Men Isl & PJ last few days.
Weather has not been great and the viss is very bad. Will now be heading to the Philippines rather than spend more time in Indo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom