Indonesia on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

froggie01

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Having no experience of indonesia, I'd like to know if it's possible to dive on a budget therefore departing from the coast. I have 3 weeks in January therefore liveaboards would be a bit pricey. Is inexpansive accomodation available in indonesia like it is in thailand for example? Thanks for your feedback.

froggie

Hi,Having no experience of indonesia, I'd like to know if it's possible to dive on a budget therefore departing from the coast. I have 3 weeks in January therefore liveaboards would be a bit pricey. Is inexpansive accomodation available in indonesia like it is in thailand for example? Thanks for your feedback.
froggie

It would be helpful if you give your budget, and your intended destinations. Saying "Indonesia" is about as broad as saying "France". I cannot compare Indo to Thailand since I haven't been to the latter. With that caveat, a few random thoughts and my personal experiences are:
1. Bali has some very inexpensive hotels ($50USD per night), both in Sanur and on the north coast, that are quite decent, and there well may be others than are okay and even less. I think that the same is true in some other areas; for example, Lembongan also has at least one inexpensive hotel, Podock Baruna (get a Garden Room for a/c -- see World Diving Lembongan Home). Hotels in LabuanBajo are generally not terribly expensive.
2. Diving prices are all over the place. Two years ago, I paid $25USD per dive in Tulamben and in August 2010, $69USD for two dives with World-Diving; my recollection is that the prices are a bit higher for dive ops based on Bali. I believe that diving out of LabuanBajo is a bit more.
3. Airfares in Indo are not cheap, and the service and schedules can be hit-or-miss.

All-in-all, my take is that Indo is a pretty inexpensive destination, and has some really wonderful diving.

I think Bali would be the most convenient place for budget travel in Indonesia. The range of accommodation is huge and the diving is world class and very divers. On Lembongan the best choice is indeed World diving with staying in Pondok Baruna next door. Actually the garden rooms are the more expensive ones. The have cheap beach side rooms, very simple but clean, for just about 15 US$. A very good budget destination is Jemeluk Bay in the Amed area with cheap guest houses and good dive centres like Eco Dive or Euro Dive in Lipah Beach. Transport from one place to another is the biggest cost as you are almost forced to take private cars for your transport.

Air Asia and Lion Air are 2 good local companies with reasonably prised flights connecting Denpasar with the rest of Indonesia. Bunaken National park in North Sulawesi is also possible on a budget. Have a Look for example at Froggies Divers.

Cheers.

If you mean seriously "budget", and are interested in Bunaken, check out this site ...

Bunaken-Sulawesi: Scuba Diving, Snorkelling and Tours

Some of the accommodations shown are common knowledge, others are "very" basic homestays. I have no clue what you're looking for, but if you want cheap, you can probably find it here.

Hi Froggie.
If you are looking for a good budget accommodation then have a look at the Bunaken Seagarden Resort on Bunaken Island in North Sulawesi, a fantastic dive area.
They offer very nice bungalows for 15 euro per night inclusive 3 very good meals.
The diving is arranged by a resort nearby or by a diving center of your own choise.
You can do 2 boatdives inclusive equipment for around 45 euro

You may also consider Pulau Weh - gapang beach has nice housereef - several budget accommodation available there, 5 - 25 euro per night.
Diving is not expensive, approx. 16 euro/dive.

I did a similar trip P-weh is as cheap as it gets.

You can do bunakan for cheap. $18US per night at Lorenzo II (basic room and meals) and dive with their partner Living Colors which is a great shop.

Bali is also a good bet. Tulamben - shop around, basic rooms shouldn't be more than $10USD, just rent tanks for $6 or so and shore dive. Guides can be $15 -- find the far NW "resort" Puri Madha - west of the public access park.

You should do fine in Padangbai Bali as well. Probably find a basic room for $10 - check at Kerti Inn which is between ferry terminal and blue lagoon on the beach strip. Check prices at the many dives ships till something feels right.

Pulau Weh is also nice, very basic rooms available in the remote "town" but dives have lots of currents. Nice shallow shore diving for cost of a tank though.

You can do quite well in the Philippines as well.

Hi there, if you are heading to Bali definitely check out Padang Bai, it's a small town on the coast and there are lots of options for budget accommodation. Geko Dive are very good, they are right on the beach (good access to lots of sites) they put together a great dive package and helped me with accommodation and airport pick ups. The diving around Bali is amazing and has something for everyone!

Back
Top Bottom