Indonesia dive locations..what are the nice land-based resorts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The secret to seeing the big stuff is to dive as often as possible. Of course, it helps for a particular site to have a history of "big stuff" sightings.

In Jan 2006, I stayed on Gili Trawangan, Lombok, Indonesia. I dove many sites around Gili Trawangan, Gili Mino, & Gili Air. Later I stayed on the mainland of Lombok on the opposite side from the 3 Gilis. The largest animals I saw were batfish (aka mobilas or small mantas), black-tip reef sharks, and hawksbill turtles.

In Jan 2001, I stayed in Bali diving the Menjangan wall. I also stayed on Nusa Lembongan, an island off Bali, diving Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Penida. I was some large rays and giant clams up to a meter in width.

jagfish:
What are the resorts in that area?

If you are looking for nice resorts, look at :

Mimpi, Tulamben - wreck and some pelagics

KKR, Lembeh - small stuff

Sipadan Water Bungalows (Smart) - dive sipadan

Mataking - dive sipadan and good muck diving around Mataking

There are lots of very nice boutique resort in Bali. From Sanur, a short boat ride (45 mins) gets you to Nusapenida/Lembongan. a longish boat ride to Manta Point on the othe side where the big fellas are.

In Sanur, Bali we have stayed at the La Taverna and dove the southern Bali dive sites. The resort is a personal favourite. The diving took longish boat trips. We also have stayed at Bali, Mimpi Tulamben. This resort was fine and is set up to dive the Liberty wreck. For me the best combination was Bali, Mimpi Menjangan, on the north tip of Bali. This was a really fantastic resort, set up as a dive dedicated destination. The short boat trips take you to Menjangan Island. We saw white tip sharks and turtles every dive. The reefs are healthy and the macro life abundant.

Lembeh is probably the easiest to reach from Singapora. I have been four times to Manado/Lembeh during the past 3 years. Last time I stayed at the new resort of Bernard (Nomad Adventure Divers) right in the middle of Lembeh strait. This is what I would call a real boutique resort - as in special, small, dedicated and unique. Gosh, each room is an experience on its own. Unfortunately no swimming pool; but then the sea is only 10 meters form the room door. This is as ina very well protected and enclosed private large bay.

Considerable more difficult to reach – as in 2 days there from Manado airport and 2 days back – is the Togian islands. These are reachable by ferry from ‘Lembeh’. VERY Clear water – as in 40+ meters, deep drop-offs, PLENTY of all kinds of marine life and some 50+ islands where you would not see people around. To enjoy this very special place you will need at least two weeks – and lots of reading matter! There is no electricity, no shops, nothing else than nothing; few small fishing villages and small pearl farm. Land based treks over the mountains and in the natural rain forests are on my must do list later this year – in Togians.

I JUST returned from a month in Indonesia. I was on the Odyssea 1 in Raja Ampat and then went to Lembeh Strait where I stayed at the Kasawari Lodge. All I can say is WOW!!
I usually go to PNG but wanted something different. I must say that I am beginning to prefer muck diving to big reef diving.

The Odyssea 1 liveaboard was wonderful. It was really designed (built last year) with the photographer in mind. Separate room with lots of charging stations and access to a computer. The cabins, food and crew were top notch. I will be posting a full report when I sort through all my photos.

Lembeh is an unreal place for the diehard "muckers" (yeah, they have reefs too). It has critters you will rarely, if ever, see anywhere else. Kasawari is right in the middle of the dive sites with "Jahir", one of the most famous sites, right off their dock. The resort was the nicest I've ever stayed in. Again, report coming soon.

Back
Top Bottom