Question Indo-Pacific destination to see Blacktip Reef Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would really recommend the Maldives for sharks. In the more accessible areas of the main Asian countries they can disappear as quickly as they appear. On a Maldivian LOB you will see sharks on almost every dive, plus mantas and turtles, with whalesharks if you are lucky. Get you AOW first though and consider a private guide.
Thanks! Is there one particular area of atolls that is better for sharks? Like northern vs southern?

The very best time for sharks is apparently January to May, when the liveaboards do Deep South trips. The remainder of the year most boats do a route called Best of Maldives, which is brilliant and does a circular route going to the best sites for sharks and mantas. We have also had two excellent visits to Boutique Beach Dive Resort in South Ari Atoll, which is right in the middle of the whaleshark area.

I'll be the naysayer here and chime in that before you book a bucket list trip you should get your AOW certification. You never know how strict a dive op is and you don't want to get shut out of dives because you can't go deeper than 60'. Getting your AOW doesn't make you an advanced diver but it's the gauge of what most dive ops use as to whether you can attempt the more challenging dives or not. You'll definitely miss out on stuff in any of these destinations if you aren't AOW and why waste money on a bucket list trip and not be able to experience all the diving?
Would you advise against going to the Maldives to get our AOW?

Would you advise against going to the Maldives to get our AOW?
Yeah I think so. I’m actually in the Maldives right now and it’s not super challenging but you just don’t want to spend a ton of time and money getting here and still not be experienced. Visibility is not great and currents can be strong. I’d recommend getting your AOW and more experience in the Caribbean and then coming here. I just don’t think people should spend time and money getting somewhere far flung and then doing training dives especially when you’re already close to the Caribbean which is great intro diving with calm conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom