Question Indo-Pacific destination to see Blacktip Reef Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate your feedback. I'm going to look in to getting our AOW on our next trip, regardless of where we go.
I think that's a good idea! I did mine in Cozumel with Dressel at Iberostar and it was a good experience and not too expensive. It would also be a good idea to confirm you don't need a minimum number of dives (along with AOW) wherever you decide to go. In challenging places like the Maldives the dive op might have a requirement like "AOW certification and 50+ dives".

OP, Perhentian Islands in Malaysia is perfect for you. Blacktip reef sharks are expected pretty much every dive. Shark Point is a fantastic dive site right with lots of sharks, but you can easily spot multiple types on most dives. Very easy conditions, great for training, and very cheap. Save the expensive and challenging spots like Maldives for much later.

I just want to see them. They have always been my favorite shark.
You might also want to take a quick trip up to the National Aquarium to visit our Blacktip Reef exhibit. As a warm up for your dive trip... Livestreams

OP, Perhentian Islands in Malaysia is perfect for you. Blacktip reef sharks are expected pretty much every dive. Shark Point is a fantastic dive site right with lots of sharks, but you can easily spot multiple types on most dives. Very easy conditions, great for training, and very cheap. Save the expensive and challenging spots like Maldives for much later.
Thank you so much for this! I will definitely look into it! Any suggestions for dive operators or hotels/resorts?

Thank you so much for this! I will definitely look into it! Any suggestions for dive operators or hotels/resorts?
I've always used Universal Divers owned by I believe a local female diver. They have strong instructors, have decent equipment, and are highly safety-minded and ecofriendly. I can recommend them for your AOW if all you care about is rec diving and pretty reef. I'm sure many others would be great too. I'd avoid the two on Floral Bay though.

The conditions in Perhentians are consistently mild that it won't distract you from either training or simply enjoying relaxing diving. Their ocean health has vastly improved over the years. There's a lot more and far bigger (and rarer) fish now compared to a decade ago. I suspect you'd come home with more than a fired up shark obsession.

I've always used Universal Divers owned by I believe a local female diver. They have strong instructors, have decent equipment, and are highly safety-minded and ecofriendly. I can recommend them for your AOW if all you care about is rec diving and pretty reef. I'm sure many others would be great too. I'd avoid the two on Floral Bay though.

The conditions in Perhentians are consistently mild that it won't distract you from either training or simply enjoying relaxing diving. Their ocean health has vastly improved over the years. There's a lot more and far bigger (and rarer) fish now compared to a decade ago. I suspect you'd come home with more than a fired up shark obsession.
Wow it looks like once you get there, Accommodation and Diving in Malaysia is EXTREMELY cheap. This is definitely on the list. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

I would really recommend the Maldives for sharks. In the more accessible areas of the main Asian countries they can disappear as quickly as they appear. On a Maldivian LOB you will see sharks on almost every dive, plus mantas and turtles, with whalesharks if you are lucky. Get you AOW first though and consider a private guide.

Perhentians, Redang, Tenggol and Tioman(in alphabetical order and from N to S as well) all along the East Coast of the Peninsular.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom