Independent Instructor looking to lead/teach Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

droda_7

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Aloha,
I am a PADI instructor and looking to pick up some courses or lead some shore dives for locals and visitors. I have traveled all over the world diving and I have logged a couple hundred dives in Maui. I am here for the winter and doing various other jobs but would love to help some people out that want to learn to dive or just want a local dive guide. I am insured and would consider myself one of the safer more cautious divers I know. I can help you to get equipment or if you have your own I can just be your guide. I promise that my prices will be below the main shops here, I am obviously not doing this to get rich would just like to make a little money and more importantly blow some bubbles. Let me know if you are interested.
Aloha,
Rachel

Aloha Rachel,

You will need to get a CORA permit from the County Parks Dept if you plan on doing any of your guided shore dives in any county parks here on Maui. That said, many couny parks are off limits. Sadly it will be impossible to do that until at least the end of June. If you plan on doing this anywhere else on Maui you will at minimum need a GET license. Good luck. I've been doing it here for almost 13 years and like you, I do not do it to get rich but instead to stay wet and blow lots of bubbles. It's not as easy as it looks.

I would recommend trying to get hired by a shop. It would be much easier for you that way.

If you ever see my scubabus at one of the sites please come by and introduce yourself.

Aloha and Shaka,

Doug

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to the Ohana Marketplace

What Doug says is mostly true.

The issue is getting from the street to the beach. If you have to cross County property (e.g. County Beach Park), then you need a County permit if you're doing it commercially.

On the other hand, there are two other ways to access the beach without touching County property:

1. through a State park
2. through private property

There are some of both available with somewhat questionable legality:
It has been said that the Mile Marker 14 (near Olowalu) access is actually State land. I haven't been able to verify this, so YMMV.

Makena Landing has, from time-to-time, had a sign stating that it was a State park, and the State has made comments about regulating it. On the other hand, Dowling has claimed it is private property, part of the Makena development. Again, this is up in the air, and YMMV.

Airport Beach (Kahekili) is *private* property. Their signs say "no commercial use" but many, MANY dive shops use it. Some *claim* to have a permit... but others say no such thing exists.

There are other points of access in Kaanapali that are private, also -- most of the access to Black Rock is also private property.

Alternatively, if you can find a friend that owns a beachfront home near where you want to dive, you can use that to access the beach. Or, if you can strike a deal with a beachfront condo association or some such, that will provide you County-free access to the beach.

Also, if you can find the business as a private guide (not all that hard in a lot of cases) there are several boats that may allow you to bring your divers on-board and guide them yourself, providing a more customised level of service.

Hi Doug,
Thank you for responding to my post. I have a couple of questions for you and could use some advice. Could we maybe meet up sometime. I have a random schedule but let me know if there is a good time I could stop in and chat with you, or buy you a beer.
Mahalo,
Rachel

Hi Rachel,

I would be happy to meet over a beer. Taco Tuesday is tonite at Freds in Kihei if you want to try that. Give me a call. My Scubaboard PM box is full and with all of the other methods of messaging these days I find it kind of inconvenient to use it. You could also email me at shakadoug@helloworld.com, that gets to me pretty quick.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Aloha and Shaka,

Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom